TVS-882T Migrate 2 disk JBOD to 2 new bigger drives (Advice Needed)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
chriskuta
New here

TVS-882T Migrate 2 disk JBOD to 2 new bigger drives (Advice Needed)

Post by chriskuta »

Hi

Current Setup
I currently have a fully populated TVS-882T, NAS host Disk 5 & 6 bays are setup as a Storage Pool 2x 5.4TB, I have a single JBOD thick volume for a total of 10.9TB. This is basically non critical media and storage of disk images etc.

Future Setup
I have two new 14Tb drives to replace the above drives and am considering just having the same setup as above for more storage or possibly splitting them up into two. Not sure.

Given all the bays are populate, what is best way to migrate to the new drives?

Do I, back up the entire current JBOD onto one of the new single disks via the USB (sounds really slow). Remove 5&6 and create a new Pool with the other new drive, copy the content back, then add the other new drive (previously the backup) and expand the pool?

I need advice since I'm really not sure how to best do this. BTW if this helps the other bays 1,2,3,4 are setup as a RAID 5/6 so can I remove one of these drives temporarily and use that bay (it will try to rebuild as soon as I put the new drive in? won't it?)
chriskuta
New here

Re: TVS-882T Migrate 2 disk JBOD to 2 new bigger drives (Advice Needed)

Post by chriskuta »

Update: I added one of the new 14Tb drives via USB and formatted it EXT4 and now copying across everything from the old smaller 2 disk JBOD. (very slow).

After the copy is complete, if I remove the old JBOD drives from 5&6 and put this new drive into 5 will the NAS see it? Can I create another JBOD by expanding disk 5 to disk 6?

I'm afraid I might need three disks here? One to backup to and then the other two to create the JBOD?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Any drive that was attached via USB cannot be used internally..at least not with the data intact (it will get deleted)
chriskuta
New here

Post by chriskuta »

Thanks for the reply. Ok that is a bummer. They should be called JBOD-PITA :)

If I copy the contents of the USB backup to my new single disk (in bay 5), can I then add the backup drive (bay 6) and expand 5 with 6 as JBOD without losing the contents of the first disk 5?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Spanning JBOD can only be done from scratch..not later on

Only way to add disks is RAID1+ or pools (you can mix single drives,spanning JBOD and RAID groups together via pools)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”