Qnap TS-659 (F/W 4.2.6) change Volume Names

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Digidat
New here

Qnap TS-659 (F/W 4.2.6) change Volume Names

Post by Digidat »

Hello,

I have a Qnap TS-659 with Firmware Version: 4.2.6 Build 20210327
I have a primairy Raid5 configuration (4 HDDs) with a hot spare added (1 HDD)
Disk 6 is configured as a single drive in order to make backups etc.

Now my issue is, that the Raid5 disk configuration, which is offcourse my main array, is named: "Volume 2"
And my less important Single disk configuration for backups is called: "Volume 1"

Now for whatever reason i find that anoying and I want to rename "Volume 2" to "Volume 1" and "Volume 1" in "Volume 2"
Or change it to any other Volume name if I want to.
I have done some experimenting, with first creating the first volume and than the other one and the other way arround.
However for whatevery reason my Qnap seems to randomly pick the Volume name and I could not get my Qnap name the Raid 5 configuration to Volume 1

I have done some googeling and found a solution with something called "Storage and Snapshots" (https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... lume-alias)
However that only seems to apply to Firmwar Version 4.4.3 (and up) and I do not have that.

Is there any othe way to change the Volume name with a Qnap TS-659 with Firmware Version: 4.2.6 Build 20210327

Any assistanse would be highly appriciated

Kind regards,

Digi
Digidat
New here

Re: Qnap TS-659 (F/W 4.2.6) change Volume Names

Post by Digidat »

Anyone any suggestions ?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qnap TS-659 (F/W 4.2.6) change Volume Names

Post by dolbyman »

no .. there is no such function on old CAT1 units (no LVM)

But all file sharing is done via shares .. so how is it that irritating (you don;t see the volume on the shares)?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”