QNAP TR-004 Formatting Drives w/RAID 5 on macOS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mmincey
New here

QNAP TR-004 Formatting Drives w/RAID 5 on macOS

Post by mmincey »

I have tried multiple times to format, four 4 TB TOSHIBA N300 3.5 NAS drives - (Compatibility List: Toshiba - HDWG440EZSTA - NAS Drives N300 - SATA 6Gb/s - 0601 - 4 TB) via macOS Disk Utility. I configured my device w/RAID 5 using the hardware switches, which is recognized. Now I'm prompted to format device via Disk Utility with no options to format drive. Any advise? Please inform.

Thank you!
mmincey
New here

Re: QNAP TR-004 Formatting Drives w/RAID 5 on macOS

Post by mmincey »

Also I forgot to mention that my QNAP TR-004 is connected to my macOS via USB. Not using it in connection with a NAS device, just a standalone DAS which in theory should be an easy setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have no Mac, but do you have some screenshots ?

If the hardware dip switches are used, the only thing needed would just be a regular format of an external block device (like any other external USB HDD), no need for a software or tool
mmincey
New here

Post by mmincey »

The switches are set for RAID 5, this is not the issue I'm having. I just saw and option to ERASE in the Disk Utility which seems to be doing a secure erase before formatting I think? Please see attached screenshots.

Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said, forget the software, set the hardware switches to RAID 5 and let the NAS format the drives (press and hold set for 3 seconds), then just treat it as any other block storage device
mmincey
New here

Post by mmincey »

I'm not understanding your reply, first and foremost it's not a NAS device, it's a DAS device. Secondly the switches are set which you can see from the QNAP Manager as being recognized as RAID 5. The device still needs to be formatted, see attached screenshot, anyway thank you for all of your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Has nothing to do with NAS or DAS .. I am simply quoting the manual

As said again, forget the software, set the switches in the back to RAID5 , hold the set button for 3 seconds. This will have the internal RAID controller format the drives to a RAID5 presenting a coherent block device via USB for you to use. Then use your Mac machine to format it like a regular brand spanking new HDD.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”