Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Post by dolbyman »

@galosu82

there was a more elaborate thread..but I cannot find it right now

see this for some pointers
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=148414&start=15#p724949

AfroDieter also made some comments about the inner workings earlier in this topic
viewtopic.php?t=124852&start=225#p727574
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

galosu82 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:08 pm Thunderbolt 3/4 connection + SSD cache are good options for video editing environments.
That's an odd statement to make after running a bunch of test programs but without doing any video editing... :S
Unfortunately, Thunderbolt connection doesn't always perform the same (on Macs it is slower than 10 GbE)...
So the recommendation to run 10 GbE on your Macs was correct.
...apparently, SSD cache performance improvement becomes less noticeable when the SSDs are full.
Maybe this is also why real world experience of video editing have shown better results without SSD caching??! But since you only have six spinning disks maybe a very frequently flushed cache to some extent can compensate for that perfomance bottleneck?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

P3R wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:18 pm
galosu82 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:08 pm Thunderbolt 3/4 connection + SSD cache are good options for video editing environments.
That's an odd statement to make after running a bunch of test programs but without doing any video editing... :S
Unfortunately, Thunderbolt connection doesn't always perform the same (on Macs it is slower than 10 GbE)...
So the recommendation to run 10 GbE on your Macs was correct.
...apparently, SSD cache performance improvement becomes less noticeable when the SSDs are full.
Maybe this is also why real world experience of video editing have shown better results without SSD caching??! But since you only have six spinning disks maybe a very frequently flushed cache to some extent can compensate for that perfomance bottleneck?

Hello P3R, what other tests I could do other than the tests that someone (Blackmagic / AJA) designed for video making environment? I've no idea if there is any other reliable test that could make sense to do.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

galosu82 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 pm Hello P3R, what other tests I could do other than the tests that someone (Blackmagic / AJA) designed for video making environment?
I see no point with more test applications. Performance tests will only give you indications and part of the answer and this apply to all usages. The only way to know for sure how a system will perform for a certain usage is to get your feet wet by having actual users working on it and evaluate that. Luckily the cache is easy to switch on and off so to do your own comparable tests for exactly your specific usage should be easy to do.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Furyous
Starting out

Post by Furyous »

After running for a few hours, the SSD cache is impairing performance again. I ended up turning it off.

Cache turned on:
With Cache.PNG
Cache turned off:
Without Cache.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

Furyous wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 am After running for a few hours, the SSD cache is impairing performance again. I ended up turning it off.

Cache turned on:
With Cache.PNG

Cache turned off:
Without Cache.PNG

Hello Furyous, have you tried using the settings proposed by cryptochrome (viewtopic.php?p=800080#p800080)? What speed were you getting when the cache was empty? How are you connected to the NAS?
HiTach
Starting out

Post by HiTach »

Any differences seen with cache behavior after using QTS 5.0?
Workstation DAS/NAS: TVS-872XT i5 16GB QuTS Hero 5.x + 2x NB 12-P fans
2x1TB Samsung 970 EVO plus RAID1 w/EK WB M.2 heatsinks
8x20TB Seagate Exos X22 RAID6 112TB Thin volume
1x20Gbe Qnap Thunderbolt 3 card, 1x40Gbe Mellanox DAS network connection, 10Gbe local virtual switch
Backup NAS: TVS-872XT i5 16GB QTS 5.x + 2x NB 12-P fans
8x10TB WD Gold RAID6 54TB Thick volume w/snapshots
1x40Gbe Qnap Thunderbolt 3 card, 1x40Gbe + SFP+/RJ45 for local 10gbe virtual switch
LAN switch 10Gbe(2)/1Gbe(8) NETGEAR Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX)
Furyous
Starting out

Post by Furyous »

galosu82 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm Hello Furyous, have you tried using the settings proposed by cryptochrome (viewtopic.php?p=800080#p800080)?
I did, my original configuration matched that.
galosu82 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm What speed were you getting when the cache was empty?
It worked well when I first made the cache but when I tested later (I assumed the cache filled) it was erratic throughput

galosu82 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm How are you connected to the NAS?
NAS and Computer are both connected to the same switch.
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

Furyous wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:46 am
So it is via SMB, but is it 1GbE, 2,5 GbE or 10 GbE? Or something different at all ....
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
Furyous
Starting out

Post by Furyous »

holger_kuehn wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:22 pm
Furyous wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:46 am
So it is via SMB, but is it 1GbE, 2,5 GbE or 10 GbE? Or something different at all ....
I am not sure why it matters as I get full, consistent speed with cache turned off (it has been turned off for weeks now and no issues) but here it is:
Port Config.PNG
Port Stats.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Furyous
Starting out

Post by Furyous »

BTW I have tested extensively without port channel including direct connect before I found this thread and fixed the issue by turning off cache. I was ready to change to another NAS manufacturer out of frustration.
s_clarke
Starting out

Post by s_clarke »

Hi All - some really good info on this thread which has helped me get to the bottom of my issue. I've been struggling to find the problem, QNAP support have been helpful and have been trying to look into the issues - but SSD Caching is certainly where my issues lie.

The strange thing is that I didn't experience these issues with my pre-RMA device (TVS-672n) and older firmware (prior 5.0). So for me this has only been felt on the TVS-672x and 5.0 and above.

One result stood out for me when running an internal file copy on the NAS via this command dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public/test10GB bs=1M count=10240

SSD Cache enabled:

10737418240 bytes (10.0GB) copied, 284.18582 seconds, 30.2MB/s

SSD Cache disabled:

10737418240 bytes (10.0GB) copied, 60.167352 seconds, 170.2MB/s

That is such a huge difference and really does illustrate the issues the caching is causing. I've fed all of this back to QNAP in the hope that they can finally discover a flaw in how it's implemented, like others I'm also seeing the allocated cache stick at 99% and never flush (which is probably the problem).

As a workaround, which I'm happy with, I've removed SSD Caching and have created a single RAID Volume for my SSD's which I'm using for my live data dumps - in essence it's giving me a fast cache for my live data, with a little manual process run later to copy it to HDD. I'm happy with that but hopefully QNAP eventually acknowledge the flawed implementation of SSD Caching on their devices.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Nice find! Don't get your hopes up, though. QNAP support has been fed proper evidence of the issue in countless tickets over the years, from many customers. I doubt this will change anything.
drooplewx
Starting out

Post by drooplewx »

Hi Guys,
I was thinking of purchasing a QM2 PCIe extension card and 2 1TB M.2 SSD for my TS-253d, I think I can save the money for something else now.
Last edited by drooplewx on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

On a rather small NAS like that, you could look into Qtier, where the NAS automatically moves the most used data to the fast SSD and the lesser used data to slow HDDs. I don't think Qtier has the same problems as the cache. In fact, accessing SSD pools over the network is freaking fast. It's just the caching that's borked.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”