Add 2nd RAID 1 group to TR-004 in hardware control mode

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ymgenesis
New here

Add 2nd RAID 1 group to TR-004 in hardware control mode

Post by ymgenesis »

Hello,

As you can see in the image below, I have the first 2 bays of my TR-004 setup for RAID 1 using hardware control mode (switches on back). They are two 12tb disks which make up RAID group 1. I bought two more drives, 18tb each, and want to make a separate RAID 1 group (RAID group 2) with the 2 remaining free bays. I don't want it to affect or change RAID group 1 at all (very precious data). I don't want to add to the RAID group 1 pool, simply make another RAID group. I am using it as a DAS for external volume storage on my computer.

There's nothing explaining this in the TR-004/002 documentation. Do I just turn off the TR-004, insert the new drives into the 2 empty bays, turn it back on, and it will create RAID group 2 while keeping RAID group 1 untouched? I'm afraid if I do that it will erase RAID group 1, and use all drives in bays 1-4 (2 12tb and the 2 new 18tb) for a new RAID group 1. Keeping in mind I'm in hardware control mode, and the switches are set to RAID 1 on the back.

QNAP's response via ticket was simply "You should be able to add the 2 new disks and set it up as its own RAID1. You do not need to turn off the NAS", but I have yet to do it because I decided I'd ask here in case someone had any experience with this, instead of trying something based on a "you should be able to." Plus, I don't run a NAS.

Thank you for your help.

OneCD
Guru

Re: Add 2nd RAID 1 group to TR-004 in hardware control mode

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, the TR-004 only supports a single RAID. I don't know why QNAP said it will support a second RAID1. :S

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ymgenesis
New here

Post by ymgenesis »

Thanks for the speedy reply!

the user manual for QNAP External RAID Manager seems to suggest that I can add more RAID groups... but maybe only in software control mode?

Pages 7 & 8:
https://download.qnap.com/Storage/Techn ... -05-en.pdf

doesn't necessarily say anything specifically about TR-004, but it's the same software used. If it's possible, I wonder if switching between hardware and software control modes erases my current RAID 1 group.

Page 28 seems to say "Configuring RAID settings deletes all data on the drives, except when switching to or from Software Control mode.":
https://download.qnap.com/Storage/Techn ... -en-us.pdf

I wonder if I switch to software control mode, I'd be able to add another RAID1 group. I think I'm too scared to try, to be honest... I wish things were a bit more clear.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

OK, looking at an online manual for the TR-004, it appears to support multiple RAIDs when run in "External Storage Mode".

The screenshot in your post shows that your TR-004 is using DIP switch controlled RAID (hardware control). You'd need to change this to Software Control first. Note: this will erase your existing array.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ymgenesis
New here

Post by ymgenesis »

Seems we found similar information. I wonder if the warning on page 28 (Configuring RAID settings deletes all data on the drives, except when switching to or from Software Control mode) at https://download.qnap.com/Storage/Techn ... -en-us.pdf suggests my existing array won't be erased?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I think you're right. Image

Best to ensure you have an external backup of that array data anyway. ;)

ymgenesis
New here

Post by ymgenesis »

Ok, my course of action:

- Start backup of the ~12tb of raid group 1 data onto one of the new 18tb drives
- Pray
- Attempt to switch to software control mode
- Pray some more and hope raid group 1 survived and is accessible
- If it survived, continue. If not, replace the data back to raid group 1
- Build raid group 2, erasing the raid group 1 backup

Thanks for the help!
ymgenesis
New here

Post by ymgenesis »

For future reference, I successfully switched into software control mode, however my RAID1 was erased (the instruction manual is wrong). Thank god I made a backup of the ~12tb first. I then created a new RAID1 Group 1 and transferred the backed up data back to where it belongs. I then created a 2nd RAID1 group through the software control. I now have what I was trying to achieve (2 separate RAID1 groups in the TR-004).
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Backups are always a good idea when manipulating arrays. Glad this worked out for you. :)

titoHuang
First post

Post by titoHuang »

I was able to switch from Raid 1 to software control and from software control to Raid 1 just fine without any Wipe. But you never know... its scary to find out a file wipe. I think for now just keep it under Software control and less messing around.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”