The system volume is locked...

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Sempaliscious
New here

The system volume is locked...

Post by Sempaliscious »

Hello,

I have a TS-251+ and TR-002, 3 bays occupied in total. The TS-251+ bays are in some sort of storage pool (forgive me but it's been years since I set it up) and the TR-002 is operating as a single drive (thank goodness).

I was having some work done at my house a few days ago and they turned off the power without warning me and when the nas came back online, the log said:

Code: Select all

Warning	2021-12-01	17:01:04	System	127.0.0.1	Shared Folders	General	[Shared Folders] The default shared folders (Public) are inaccessible. The system volume is locked. You must enter the volume encryption password or upload the encryption key file to unlock the volume. You can restore the default shared folders of the unlocked volume in "Control Panel > Shared Folders > Restore Default Shared Folders".
Warning	2021-12-01	17:01:04	System	127.0.0.1	Shared Folders	General	[Shared Folders] The default shared folders (Public) do not exist. To restore these shared folders, go to "Control Panel > Shared Folders > Restore Default Shared Folders".
Information	2021-12-01	16:59:56	System	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Set "Adapter 1" as system default gateway. "Adapter 1" connected to the internet after checking NCSI.
Information	2021-12-01	16:59:54	System	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Set "Adapter 1" as the system default gateway.
Information	2021-12-01	16:59:27	System	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	---	[Network & Virtual Switch] Initialized Network & Virtual Switch.
Information	2021-12-01	16:59:10	System	127.0.0.1	Power	NAS Power Status	[Power] The system has started.
Warning	2021-12-01	16:59:10	System	127.0.0.1	Power	NAS Power Status	[Power] The system was not shutdown properly last time.
Information	2021-12-01	16:58:18	System	127.0.0.1	Storage & Snapshots	External Storage	[Storage & Snapshots] Detected external device "TR-002-N492: Disk 1". File system label: 4KPlex, File system type: NTFS.
Warning	2021-12-01	16:58:13	System	127.0.0.1	Storage & Snapshots	Volume	[Storage & Snapshots] File system not clean. Volume: DataVol2. Run a file system check.
Warning	2021-12-01	16:58:02	System	127.0.0.1	Hardware Status	I/O Ports	[Hardware Status] "Host: Disk 1": Medium error. Run a bad block scan on the drive. Replace the drive if the error persists.

What's perplexing is that I have never EVER used encryption - so that's weird - and it had been working fine up until that point.

I went into Storage & Snapshots > Overview and it showed me that disk 1 / DataVol1 (System) had an error - it was not showing any of the details of that volume.

When I go into the Disk Health, it reports Error and "The disks temperature has exceed the specified threshold", with Disk Access History (I/O): Error

I proceeded to check SMART Information - all reported good - and Test the drive. The Rapid test reported "Test completed and no errors found" (after posting this, I've got the NAS running a complete test, I'll update the post when that's done).

Not really sure where to go from here. Don't know how to reset the error status. I've tried SSH'ing in and running "/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh" (as suggested in another thread to remount the drive) to no avail. Gets a lot of permission denied errors. I definitely don't have encryption enabled and I have no reason to suspect that someone could have logged in and enabled it (admin account is disabled and the admin username and password are ridiculous).

Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Edit:// Tried recovering raid and it failed. Tried ejecting drive and reinserting. Tried resetting nas. All to no avail.
Edit 2:// Definitely not a raid because the second drives files are fully accessible (meaning I only can't access 6TB worth of data on the first drive)

Thanks.
Pascal007
New here

Re: The system volume is locked...

Post by Pascal007 »

I'm reading your post because I have the exact same error. Situation is the same : my NAS lost power because of a storm. A few days later, I noticed it was acting weird. So I shut it down and restarted it today (I was away), and now all my data is totally inaccessible.
k2112s
New here

Post by k2112s »

Did you ever get an answer to this. I am trying to set up a new device. When I get to the volume creation it gets interrupted half way through every time. when it comes back up the volume fails to mount and I get this same error in the logs.
vidonn
New here

Post by vidonn »

Same problem here. After a power failure I can't unlock an encrypted volume on a 12TB WD-RED pro drive installed in the TR-004 extension.
I know the correct password (never changed), but QTS always shows an "Entered Invalid Key" notification.
QNAP support tried to fix for one month with Remote Support enabled, but the ticket was closed because "they are unable to unlock without the password, please have data recovery from third party recovery vendor." :shock:
No words. Only one note: DON'T USE VOLUME ENCRYPTION ON QNAP.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”