Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Furyous
Starting out

Re: Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Post by Furyous »

cryptochrome wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:59 pm On a rather small NAS like that, you could look into Qtier, where the NAS automatically moves the most used data to the fast SSD and the lesser used data to slow HDDs. I don't think Qtier has the same problems as the cache. In fact, accessing SSD pools over the network is freaking fast. It's just the caching that's borked.
Or just buy a NAS from a company that doesn't ignore such a MASSIVE flaw in their product for years? I don't think I will ever buy qnap again.
drooplewx
Starting out

Post by drooplewx »

cryptochrome wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:59 pm On a rather small NAS like that, you could look into Qtier, where the NAS automatically moves the most used data to the fast SSD and the lesser used data to slow HDDs. I don't think Qtier has the same problems as the cache. In fact, accessing SSD pools over the network is freaking fast. It's just the caching that's borked.
I'm new to Qtier, I think for using the Qtier I need to set up kind of RAID, 1 SSD + 1 HDD, right? I'm not sure if one disk failed, what can do to save the data.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Furyous wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:07 pm
Or just buy a NAS from a company that doesn't ignore such a MASSIVE flaw in their product for years? I don't think I will ever buy qnap again.
Strongly agree. This was my last QNAP NAS for sure.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

drooplewx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm Hi Guys,
I was thinking of purchasing a PCIe extension card and 2 1TB M.2 SSD for my TS-253d, I think I can save the money for something else now.
Those cards used to work but I don’t think QNAP supports them anymore as they want you to buy their QM2 cards.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
drooplewx
Starting out

Post by drooplewx »

Don wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:53 am
drooplewx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm Hi Guys,
I was thinking of purchasing a PCIe extension card and 2 1TB M.2 SSD for my TS-253d, I think I can save the money for something else now.
Those cards used to work but I don’t think QNAP supports them anymore as they want you to buy their QM2 cards.
Sorry, I was thinking QM2 cards, but typing PCIE cards
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

It took three months of back and forth with the QNAP Support Team, but apparently, the SSD cache issue is now fixed (firmware 5.0.0.1891).
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

galosu82 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:28 pm It took three months of back and forth with the QNAP Support Team, but apparently, the SSD cache issue is now fixed (firmware 5.0.0.1891).
Can't really confirm. It has gotten better, but I am still getting much higher write speeds over a 10 GbE network connection when I bypass the cache (cache enabled but very small block size bypass).

With cache: about 300 to 350 MB/s
Without cache: 500 to 550 MB/s

Thanks for involving support! Much appreciated.
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

My cache settings:

The speeds I'm getting:

cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Right. Now go into your cache settings, select random I/O and set the block size to 256 KB and run the test again over Ethernet. I am getting faster speeds then (it bypasses the cache as AJA uses larger block sizes).
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

After disabling the cache completely…

cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Well, good for you that it works for you. On my NAS, it's still the same as before. Cache is slower than no cache.
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

What is your firmware version? 5.0.0.1891?

What is your hardware configuration?
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Yes, Firmware 5.0.0.1891 on a TVS-1282T, Raid 6 disk array.
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

Pretty strange. I've no idea why you are getting slow speeds both with and without SSD cache. Theoretically, your NAS is more powerful than mine (I have a TVS-672XT).
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Oh the bottleneck for sure are my disks. The Raid-6 array isn't the fastest, the WD disks are quite dated. So I will never saturate a 10 GbE network link when writing to that array (when reading, I get 10 gigabits maxed out). My hope has always been that the cache will increase the write speeds, but it has always decreased the speeds. And unfortunately, whatever they fixed in 5.0.0.1891 to make it work for you, it hasn't fixed it for me.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”