Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
JJRRWW
New here

Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Post by JJRRWW »

Sorry to resurrect this, but I got the same issue. I followed this:
1. Go to "Storage Manager" > "STORAGE" > "Storage Space".
2. Double click a storage pool to be expanded to bring up the Storage Pool Management page.
3. Select a RAID group and click "Manage" > "Replace Disks One by One".
4. Select at least one hard disk drive and click "Change". After the description displays "Please remove this drive", remove the hard disk drive from the NAS or expansion enclosure.
5. After the description displays "You can replace this drive", plug in the new hard disk drive to the drive slot.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all hard drives have been replaced.
7. Click "Expand Capacity" to continue. Click "Yes".
8. The chosen RAID group is expanded.

But like someone else above, I was not allowed to do the Expand Capacity step, because apparently "The file system is not clean" and I had to "Check File System". I don't know how the file system is not clean after inserting two new drives and allowing them to "rebuild", there was no such error beforehand.

So after checking the file system, there is still the Expand button, but it does not allow you to expand up to full drive size. Only choices are "Create new raid group", or "add new disks". That's absolute garbage design. I wasted two days doing the first 6 steps. I will need to just reformat the drives and simply copy onto them my backup.

Unless someone has better quicker suggestion to get the Expand to work?

Thanks

TS-231
Firmware: 4.3.6.1620
Changed from 2x4GB to 2x8GB
Last edited by JJRRWW on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Post by OneCD »

* topic split from viewtopic.php?f=25&t=142130 *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

JJRRWW wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 am So after checking the file system, there is still the Expand button, but it does not allow you to expand up to full drive size. Only choices are "Create new raid group", or "add new disks".
That sound to me like you're in the wrong place. Have you really followed the instructions and selected Replace Disks One by One before you try to expand? If you have, please show us a screenshot of where you find the Expand-button and then one of the choices you get.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
JJRRWW
New here

Post by JJRRWW »

"Have you really followed the instructions and selected Replace Disks One by One before you try to expand?" Well yes, I have. What else could I have possibly done? How do you think I wasted the last 2 days, if not on "rebuilding".... I'm just a casual user, I have little choice but to follow instructions such as these.

Screenshot attached. Is this the wrong place?
Thank you for your reply
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes .. that is the wrong place, it's under manage>replace one by one
JJRRWW
New here

Post by JJRRWW »

Crap. Well I admit I was too quick to judge. My fault.
But then again, the user interface is a rather misleading, if you have to click on "replace disks one by one" again, to get to the expand menu. After you already replaced the disks.

Either way, thank you for the help. You saved me lots of time. It is "synchronizing" at the moment, so I believe it is working to expand them. Awesome. Thanks again.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

JJRRWW wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 am My fault.
Yes we know but kudos for admitting it!

You're welcome and good luck!
:D
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
JJRRWW
New here

Post by JJRRWW »

P3R wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:13 am
JJRRWW wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 am My fault.
Yes we know but kudos for admitting it!

You're welcome and good luck!
:D
haha... well it would be hard to deny. Cheers!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”