Schedule QNAP to sleep option missing

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
paradoxgrowth
Getting the hang of things

Schedule QNAP to sleep option missing

Post by paradoxgrowth »

Hi experts

I was really hoping to put my ts-677 to sleep at night. I saw in power options within the settings menu that you can set a schedule. However the only options are shutdown, restart or turn on. Where is sleep? I don’t even see anywhere to put it to sleep manually. Any hints?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Schedule QNAP to sleep option missing

Post by dolbyman »

Sleep is always done via schedule...there is no keyboard to press or mouse to wiggle to wakeup your NAS..so schedule it is
paradoxgrowth

Post by paradoxgrowth »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:17 pm Sleep is always done via schedule...there is no keyboard to press or mouse to wiggle to wakeup your NAS..so schedule it is
Okay but as I said it is not an option in the scheduling settings within the settings menu. How do I do it?
paradoxgrowth

Post by paradoxgrowth »

Bump
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

best to contact qnap via ticket..I dont have that specific unit..I cannot check
Climber66
Starting out

Post by Climber66 »

Do you have an SED SSD in your system? If so, it disables the sleep option. See https://www.qnap.com/hu-hu/how-to/faq/a ... orage-pool.
This happened to me. I had been using scheduled and manual sleep for years and suddenly the option was gone. At first I thought it was just due to FW upgrades, but after a bunch of searching I finally found the reason: I put in an SSD for speeding things up by migrating Apps to it.

BTW: you can wake the NAS via power schedule or via power button or remotely via QFinder Pro or any Wake On Lan program. For example I had any computer powering up on our home network send a WOL, then have it go back to sleep at night. Also the backup UPS controlled by the router sends a WOL upon losing line power, so the QNAP can then properly shutdown. It doesn't listen to the UPS USB connection when asleep.
TS653A 4GB on QTS 5.0.1.2376. Internet access normally disabled.
andrew.0101
Starting out

Post by andrew.0101 »

I too only have "Shutdown" "Restart" & "Turn on the server" in the Power Schedule.

I do have an SSD with a storage pool, but I'm 99% sure it's not an SED Storage Pool.

I would like to schedule the NAS to sleep at night, any other thoughts?
TS-451D2, 8GB RAM
QTS 5.0.1.2194
Climber66
Starting out

Post by Climber66 »

I wouldn't count on a QNAP description to be very precise. Very possible it doesn't have to be SED perse, but any SSD storage pool causing it. They might also just not distinguish in the software when deciding on disabling the sleep option.
You can check if it's Self Encrypting by going to Storage & Snapshots -> Disks -> Disk health -> SSD features.
Climber66
Starting out

Post by Climber66 »

Also, I have no idea why SED would be a reason for not allowing sleep mode. If it is due to powering off the SSD in sleep mode and it losing the keys, they could easily reinitialize when coming out of sleep before starting everything else again.
Climber66
Starting out

Post by Climber66 »

Oh, it also gives you SED status right under Storage & Snapshots -> Disks -> select the SSD disk.
Climber66
Starting out

Post by Climber66 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:17 pm Sleep is always done via schedule...there is no keyboard to press or mouse to wiggle to wakeup your NAS..so schedule it is
You can also put the NAS to sleep via the pulldown menu under Admin in the top toolbar. And via QFinder Pro.
This all might depend on whether you login as administrator or not.
I have yet to wise up and not use the admin account for a lot of stuff.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”