Expand Capacity Not working - Static Volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
smon222
New here

Expand Capacity Not working - Static Volume

Post by smon222 »

I have a 1282-T and 4 SSD drives in Raid 1 config w/ system on it. I upgraded to 4TB SSD's and went through the process of Replacing Disks One by One and letting it do its thing. There were no issues and everything looked like it worked fine. I can see the individual capacities of each disk 3.64TB and now the Expand Capacity button at the bottom is not greyed out anymore and says I can expand to approximately 9.80TB in red.

However, when I click the Expand Capacity button. It looks like it works and gives me the notification plus Qnap emails me that it has started and then Finished Expanding capacity. But when I check everything, I am still at the original 2.37 TB.

I have rebooted and done the process again with the same result. It will not Expand capacity. All the drives are showing good and proper 3.64TB each but the Volume Capacity stays at 2.43TB.

Can anyone help or give suggestions?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Expand Capacity Not working - Static Volume

Post by dolbyman »

4 SSD's in RAID1 will not work(2x Disks max in RAID1 for user data), please recheck

Screenshots of the interface in question would also help
smon222
New here

Post by smon222 »

Sorry it was setup as a Raid 5, not raid 1.
rhap4boy
Starting out

Post by rhap4boy »

I have the exact same issue.
TVS-1282T3 with firmware 4.5.3.1670. 4 IronWolf 125 4TB configured as RAID 5. Tried restart the unit and expand again with same issue.

Right now it is showing 4 - 3.64TB expandable to 9.8 TB.
Went through replacing each disk and finally expand capacity. It tells me Expand RAID Capacity completed.
However after expansion, it still shows the old capacity 2.43 TB.

Were you able to fix this?
smon222
New here

Post by smon222 »

I contacted support, very helpful guys over there for sure. They used Teamviewer and some terminal commands which started the process manually. Everything is working properly now and showing 10.78TB.
rhap4boy
Starting out

Post by rhap4boy »

Do you remember what commands they used? I may have contacted them too early in the morning and got transferred to somewhere remote.
I am still waiting for a reply from tech support. They escalated the ticket.
sanchez13
Starting out

Post by sanchez13 »

After expand capacity you must resize volume also..

S.
smon222
New here

Post by smon222 »

I apologize, I wish I did. I am not a programmer so didn't understand what he was doing. The gentleman's name was Loc though, I believe he is based out of California. Really nice guy. I believe I called about 10am CST
Austro-Diesel
New here

Post by Austro-Diesel »

Same problem here as I replaced my two 2-TB-SSDs by 4-TB-SSDs in a RAID 1 in two identical configurated TS-932PX a few weeks ago. "Expand" seems to work, but after a few seconds it tells everything done, but nothing is different.

I contacted the support and after a few days the qnap expert logged into one of my systems and resolved the problem. On the second NAS persist the same problem, but until now I don't get any reaction of the support -- maybe they are in holidays.

The comand "more /proc/mdstat" tells me, that the RAID 1 ist the "md1" ("raid1 2/2 [UU]"). "md4" is also there, it's the additional RAID 5 with 5 haddisks ("raid5 5/5 [UUUUU]"). And some other mdXXX which looks like for internal use.

After some research I think the necessery steps are ...

logging into the NAS via SSH (ssh -l admin <IP>),
stopping the running services (/etc/init.d/services.sh stop),
unmount some volumes (umount /dev/md1),
growing the RAID (mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --size=max) and
checking the file system (e2fsck -f /dev/md1)
resizing the file system (resize2fs /dev/md1),
maybe restarting the RAID (storage_boot_init 2),
restarting the whole NAS.

I am no LINUX expert and I don't want to kill my NAS ... so I won't do these steps without assistance. Most of the hints are very old and seem outdated. So I can't find the everywhere used "md0" in /dev/ on my NAS. (Source: http://cdonner.com/qnap-raid-expansion.htm)

Is anyone here who knows the necessary details?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”