Recover data from QNAP raid 5 with Ubuntu

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Antjac
New here

Re: Recover data from QNAP raid 5 with Ubuntu

Post by Antjac »

Yeah, sorry, this was the number one drive in my array, before I had my issue, so did originally come from QNAP before I messed up.
This is what is shown now
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 2.3G 1 loop /rofs
loop1 7:1 0 4K 1 loop /snap/bare/5
loop2 7:2 0 61.8M 1 loop /snap/core20/1169
loop3 7:3 0 150.4M 1 loop /snap/firefox/631
loop4 7:4 0 99.3M 1 loop /snap/core/11743
loop5 7:5 0 65.2M 1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1519
loop6 7:6 0 242.3M 1 loop /snap/gnome-3-38-2004/76
loop7 7:7 0 54.2M 1 loop /snap/snap-store/557
sda 8:0 0 3.6T 0 disk
sdb 8:16 0 931.5G 0 disk
sdc 8:32 0 931.5G 0 disk
└─sdc1 8:33 0 931.5G 0 part
sdd 8:48 0 14.6T 0 disk
├─sdd1 8:49 0 16M 0 part
└─sdd2 8:50 0 14.6T 0 part
sde 8:64 0 3.6T 0 disk
sdj 8:144 1 30G 0 disk
└─sdj1 8:145 1 30G 0 part /cdrom
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
BTW - sdd is my back up drive, which has nothing of any importance on it.
Antjac
New here

Post by Antjac »

Is there a way of deleting sdc1, leaving intact sdc then swapping it with sda, to emulate the correct order when it was in my NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I'd say do a dd copy of all drives onto new ones and fight through this
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ ... ._Assemble

if you get (big IF) the raid assembled, you have to fight through the LVM and DRBD , this will be very difficult and probably left best in hands of a data rescue company
Antjac
New here

Post by Antjac »

Wow...
OK, thanks for your help thus far, I'll give it a read, see how brave I feel...
Thanks again, really appreciate your time...
Biggorron
First post

Post by Biggorron »

HI, thanks for posting your guide.

I am having a bit of a issue i am at the last step trying to mount the volume but lvscan shows the volumes inactive.
I have tried

sudo vgchange -a y /dev/vg288/lv1

i get a error message that (invalid volume group name vg288/lv1)

sorry i don't have a print out of the lvscan but i assure you that is what it shows as inactive

any ideas.
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello, would be possible to use Virtualization Station to make the recover with the raid still inside the Qnap?
For now I only have a laptop and I make use of it every day as mobile station, and since the recovery of a Raid0 is in place it takes a lot of hours to complete the task.

I wonder if is possible for me to keep the HDD inside Qnap and using Virtualization station as Operative system is possible to make the recover to another Raid in my Qnap.

Thanks,
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no, you need block storage access to the drives, the hypervisior does not have direct access
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Post by AntonioManuel »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 am no, you need block storage access to the drives, the hypervisior does not have direct access

Thanks for the help.

So you mean to put the HDD Raid 0 inside the block storage connected using USB or USB C to the QNAP, and then I can have have direct access to the drive and use the Virtualization Station? Is this the possibility?

Any recommendation for a block Storage 4 Bays USB C for 10T drives? Can I use QNAP TR-004?

Or can I use the the QTS operation system through ssh connection put the drive inside QNAP and try to mount it and recover using the NASdaq steps.
NASdaq wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm
Thanks.
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Connect the device to a machine with enough USB or SATA ports to assamble the RAID

Running a RAID0 without backups ..triple oof
jimj24
First post

Post by jimj24 »

Thank you very much for this guide.
However have a worst case.
I have a RAID5 with 5TBX4 drives in the TS-453A.
The system shows a Warning for Disk1, and shows that Disk2 "Does not exist". I got a PC with Ubuntu on a USB still disk 2 doesn't show up in Disks Utility. Disk 1 doesn't show any partition in Disk utility. Disk 3 and Disk 4 are fine.
How can I recover the data in this situation. I have tried several options.
Since I do not have all my disks in good condition, can I still go ahead and runt the commands to build the arrays. I have only 2 healthy disks (disk3 and disk4). Disk1 shows with warning and disk2 doesn't show at all? I am being careful not to cause any damage with any commands.
Thank you very much for your assistance.
guidogdp
New here

Post by guidogdp »

Hi Nasdaq,

great job!

Should the procedure work also using a standard ubuntu installation and connecting the raid disk with usb interfaces?

Br.

Guido
hockeyrink
New here

Post by hockeyrink »

ITConsultingBroll wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 am

Code: Select all

sudo lvscan
  Error reading device /dev/sda2 at 542855168 length 4.
  WARNING: Unrecognised segment type tier-thin-pool
  WARNING: Unrecognised segment type thick
  WARNING: PV /dev/md1 in VG vg1 is using an old PV header, modify the VG to update.
  LV tp1, segment 1 invalid: does not support flag ERROR_WHEN_FULL. for tier-thin-pool segment.

Hi Martin.

I'm trying to recover from a locked out RAID array due to SSD cache being unable to disconnect. I've removed the 3 RAID-5 drives and been relatively successful with this tutorial up to this point too. Like others below, I'm having the same situation ("WARNING: Unrecognised segment type thick") and am unable to mount he volume.

Did you find a solution?
hockeyrink
New here

Re: [SOLVED... sorta]Recover data from QNAP raid 5 with Ubuntu

Post by hockeyrink »

SO. My array did have the 2 volumes disappear, but after a semi-successful ticket (they got the volumes back), the important data was corrupt.

I tripped over this post elsewhere and on a slim-shot I installed the Linux version of "Recovery Explorer" with the RAID-5 3 drives (which I had the foresight to clone before the Qnap process re-initialized the originals) on SATA channels, and ... no issue! It didn't have a problem with the "unknown volume type: THICK" or "CACHE". It allows a test download of ... 768kB. The important files I needed came clean, so I've registered it and have reclaimed my data from the QNAP "THICK" and "CACHE" polluted LVMs!

It's not shilling if I paid for it! Well worth the $250 bucks; I've spend ~20 hours semi-successfully re-creating the data.

Imma happy camper now. :lol:
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Next time have backups .. so no recovery is needed !

Also if you don't want to shill, why do you dig out old posts to shill this program then ? (deleted that post)
hockeyrink
New here

Post by hockeyrink »

Agreed - backup strategies are a necessity! (2 onsite; 2 offsite). I had backups of the most important data, but there's always the cruft that gets ignored when trying to conserve bandwidth, plus discovering some of them had null files. Best to get back to as close to original, then start sorting out the nulls from backups/incrs/snapshots.

I have no affiliation with that company other than being a happy customer. I know from other threads others are in the same boat. I'd have rather used a native linux (mdadm, etc) solution, but now at least I've found a better than "reinitialize array" solution that Qnap concluded on.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”