No Access after HDD death

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
honkin
Getting the hang of things

No Access after HDD death

Post by honkin »

I booted the TS451 last night and it sat there and didn't do much. This morning, the screen on the tv (it is used as a media box) was still black, so I rebooted again. This time by mid-afternoon, it had gotten to the softeware screen, but never actually loaded anything than a pretty blue screen

On the latest reboot, the #1 drive showed as a red LED and now I am unable to gain access at all.

I removed the offending drive to see if I could boot, but it got to a black screen asking for login details and I do not have a keyboard or mouse option, as the box always just logged on automatically.

So I don't really know my next step. From memory, the system was RAID 5

Any help gladly accepted.

regards
dolbyman
Guru

Re: No Access after HDD death

Post by dolbyman »

access the NAS via webbinterface and check the logs
honkin
Getting the hang of things

Post by honkin »

Cheers dolbyman

Would you believe that the unit booted up this morning after a very long time? No red LED or anything, so not sure if this means the drive has an intermittent issue, or the box does. I will login via the web interface and see what a scan shows, but am fearful that something is very much amiss

Will it matter that the drives were put back in a different order now? I took out the one which displayed a red LED overnight and tried to boot. When I did that, I moved 3 to the 1 slot. Now this morning I put what was disk 1 into the vacant disk 3 slot. It that important, or of no consequence?

Regards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

cat2 devices dont care about drive position (if swapped while off)

when you have access to your data do backups asap

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”