TS-119 QTS 4.3.3 RAID-1 settings

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
JonB
Starting out

TS-119 QTS 4.3.3 RAID-1 settings

Post by JonB »

Hi

I have a TS-119 with an external eSATA drive acting as a RAID-1 mirror on earlier QTS versions. I suffered a drive failure on the internal drive and replaced it with the external unit. All good so far.

I have now (finally) got round to installing a new drive in the external bay, but I cannot see where the RAID-1 settings are in QTS 4.3.3 (latest for my NAS). I read that they are in the Storage Manager -> Volume Management but I cannot see any options there.

I did reboot the NAS and it offered (on admin login) "Hybrid Backup Sync" for the external drive, but this seems to be a new feature and what I want is disk mirroring so that I can swap out in the event of a disk failure (meaning, I want all the boot tracks and OS copied as well as the user data when backing up to the external drive). Buth internal and external drives are 3TB.

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks
JonB
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-119 QTS 4.3.3 RAID-1 settings

Post by dolbyman »

I dont have a single bay cat1 unit to check..but I seem to remember that qnap removed that feature in later firmware versions

does the manual not mention q-raid1?

btw q-raid1 is NOT a backup
JonB
Starting out

Post by JonB »

It may not be a backup by the strictest definitioon, but if you consider my use case it worked perfectly and no data was lost. I just put the "backup" drive into the NAS and it booted and ran perfectly as before, with all user data intact. The manual describes it as I said in my post ("I read that.." in my post, although I didn't say it was the QNAP manual, to be fair).

RAID-1 is described in the QNAP 4.3.3 help facility on the NAS itself and that is where I read it. The NAS admin search page has a RAID Management result that leads to the Volume Management screen, from where I see no RAID settings at all. All I want is a mirrored drive... it's a basic use case which QNAP have supported previously..

Best not to assume I am an expert - but I spent a day searching the internet and this forum to no avail.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no, a backup would still have the data on accidental or malicious data removal..a qraid is a raid ...so not a backup

afair qraid was under external disks
JonB
Starting out

Post by JonB »

Hi dolbyman

What's the difference between a qraid-1 disk and a full sector by sector backup? As far as I can tell they are the same, or at least, they both yelded the same result (ability to replace the main drive with the qraid-1 drive and the NAS continues working as before).

I'm just concerned we are getting mixed up by the semantics here. All I want is to copy the entire disk, boot tracks and all, to the external drive, then keep it updated regularly. Is that really no longer possible?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A Backup is

- readable in external systems (on old cat1 as yours that not difficult..on newer systems it's much harder to read internal disks)
- protects you from accidental or malicious file deletion (as said above)

we are not in semantics here..a raid is NOT a backup

open a tickt with qnap and ask them about qraid

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”