Network Expansion Card Firmware Update

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
godless.prayer
New here

Network Expansion Card Firmware Update

Post by godless.prayer »

Hello!

I've got a QNAP TS-1277XU-RP (5.0.0.1891) here and I've been getting the following notification for a few days now:

https://imgur.com/a/qZeMWEs

I'd like to update the firmware but I only have this one Network card installed so I'm afraid it either won't upgrade or that I'm going to lose access to my NAS.

What am I supposed to do here?
godless.prayer
New here

Re: Network Expansion Card Firmware Update

Post by godless.prayer »

Looks like I had a false assumption. I thought that the Mellanox adapter was the one with the two 1GBit copper ports, not the one with the two SFP+ ports.

As I'm only using the 1GBit ports I will be totally fine updating the Mellanox adapter.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Network Expansion Card Firmware Update

Post by dosborne »

godless.prayer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:58 pm I'd like to update the firmware but I only have this one Network card installed so I'm afraid it either won't upgrade or that I'm going to lose access to my NAS.
Although you've already resolved your issue......
I have no direct experience with this as my NIC doesn't have a separate firmware (at least not that I am aware of) but it may be worth finding older (or at least whatever is/was current in your unit and checking to see if it is even feasible to load a downgrade for moving forward.

I'm a *bit* anal, and tend to download EVERY firmware release for all my devices, usually before the shipment even arrives at my door. Lol I hate updating anything unless I have the pieces in place to go back just in case. I have over 30 firmware releases (and a saved configuration file from that version) for one of my NAS boxes alone :) Over 50 for one of my routers.

With QNAP in particular, but applies to many other vendors, it's a good idea to save your own archives as they pull releases or drop support or go out of business etc. This has saved me many times over the years with a variety of devices. A Western Digital media player in particular, WD released an update, removed all previous ones, it broke more than it fixed, then they dropped the product. I still use it every day, 10+ years past EOL as I had a copy of the second last firmware.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”