Rebuilt RAID... instead of expanding it.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dragonmike
Getting the hang of things

Rebuilt RAID... instead of expanding it.

Post by dragonmike »

So I made a schoolboy and just made an assumption instead of reading up first.

My 4x1TB drives in my TS-469L were filling up so I bought four 2TB drives. I thought "let's just hotswap them one by one and the new size will be utilised once the fourth drive has been swapped!".

I was wrong. I now have a re-built RAID5 with the same size as it was previously on the 4x1TB drives. On a legacy volume.

What's my best plan of action now? I've read through the forums a bit but uncertain as to what applies. What would you suggest? Go to volume management, select remove disc one-by-one, take them out accordingly, wipe them using a standalone PC and plug them in again?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Rebuilt RAID... instead of expanding it.

Post by dolbyman »

Conflicting information is out there if you can expand legacy volumes or not... have you actually tried to click through the usual suspects ?

e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=164668
dragonmike

Post by dragonmike »

So I've been to the "remove one-by-one" page, and started with disc 1. After plugging it back in, it's now re-building... interestingly. So I'll see if it does indeed rebuild with full size, or whether it just goes back to previous state. Will let you know in a few hours.
Last edited by dragonmike on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonmike

Post by dragonmike »

So the re-build didn't do anything.

However, I went back to the "remove one-by-one" page and clicked "expand volume". I had attempted that a while ago but it had just failed to start.
Figured I'd just give it another go and oh surprise... It worked! :mrgreen:
Volume successfully expanded overnight. 5.41 total storage space (out of 4x2TB drives, i.e. 4x1.82TB reported). I'm assuming that's acceptable?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”