storage pool

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
nervoteso
Know my way around

storage pool

Post by nervoteso »

just got ts 253d. i've set storage pool but i notice it is only 290 gb, i've a 2 tb ssd, should i delete it and make a new storage pool of 1 tb? how much should i reserve for snapshot? i need space for my music files. i've 1 tb of files, (2 tb total of space), how much should i resize the volume?

i've set a radi 1, should i reinitialize and set raid 0 for more space? neverb been useful raid 1 for recovering data...

i use qnap for storing music files, video and some document, should i reinitialize and set a static volume? snapshots are useful backups? is it better thin or thick?
thanks
P3R
Guru

Re: storage pool

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm just got ts 253d. i've set storage pool but i notice it is only 290 gb, i've a 2 tb ssd, should i delete it and make a new storage pool of 1 tb?
A storage pool typically have the size of the usable storage on the disk. Maybe you created a volume that is 290 GB? Even if you only created a 290 GB volume that's not the end of the world as you should be able to expand it. We don't know what you have done as you don't give us the details.

If you don't know what you have done, post a screenshot of the storage pool/volume layout so that someone here can help you interpret it.
i need space for my music files. i've 1 tb of files, (2 tb total of space), how much should i resize the volume?
Typically I would recommend to set volume size to what you think you will need in the coming 6-12 months +10%.
i've set a radi 1, should i reinitialize and set raid 0 for more space?
Let's first go over what RAID 1 is and isn't.

RAID 1 is a way to increase storage and system reliability by offering hardware redundancy. It's also a way to offer peace of mind fo the administrator and saving that person from a lot of work when (not if) disks will fail. It's also a way to hugely simplify storage expansion in the future. If you want anything of that, you should use RAID 1.

RAID 1 isn't a replacement for backups. RAID 1 can't protect your data from fire, flooding, theft, catastrophic software bugs, user mistakes or ransomware so basically it's doesn't protect data at all. The only thing that protect your data well are backup copies on external indepent systems with at least one of them placed off-site.
neverb been useful raid 1 for recovering data...
If you need to recover data you as an administrator have failed completely. Those that have data recovery as a vital part of their data protection plan lack the experience a good administrator should have and they will likely in the end lose data anyway.
i use qnap for storing music files, video and some document, should i reinitialize and set a static volume?
I see no reason for that. A storage pool is normally the best choice for the normal home usage that you have.
...snapshots are useful backups?
Absolutely not. For critical (typically professional) applications snapshots are often a necessary requirement. On larger home and SMB systems they're a typically only a convenient luxury to have in addition to the external backups of all valuable data that should be first priority for every responsible administrator. For small home storages like yours, they're more likely a waste of valuable storage space and your administrative focus.
...is it better thin or thick?
Thick volumes are normally easier to understand and manage for the less experienced administrator.

You're all over the place now so first of all I think that you need to take some deep breaths, cool down and try to be more methodical in your work. Don't rush things.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

thanks for replying. so if i understand well, it would be enough to resize the volume, right? i've 1 tb of files to copy in the new ssd, which size should i choose?
during the smart installation i set 10 per cent of snapshots space, i don't know why it made a 290 gb volume!! the ssd is 2tb

if snapshots are not so important, maybe i could resize at the maximun size.

which are the best apps to backup files syncronizing with a external hhd?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:32 pm thanks for replying. so if i understand well, it would be enough to resize the volume, right?
Probably.
...i've 1 tb of files to copy in the new ssd, which size should i choose?
Please read my previous post. I gave you a recommendation for volume size.
during the smart installation i set 10 per cent of snapshots space, i don't know why it made a 290 gb volume!!
And we know even less about what happened. We don't even know what kind of volume you have as you don't tell us... :roll:
if snapshots are not so important, maybe i could resize at the maximun size.
If you don't need snapshots I can't see any reason to reserve any storage for them. As for the volume size I would recommend, read my previous post. Yes you can set a volume to max but there are advantages to instead use the recommendation I gave you.
which are the best apps to backup files syncronizing with a external hhd?
I use the standard Qnap app HBS3 (Hybrid Backup Sync version 3) to do my versioned backups (it can do syncs as well but versioned backups are superior as backups) to an externally USB-connected disk and that's my recommendation to test first. If possible I recommend a larger external backup disk than the internal NAS storage.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

ok many thanks. you wrote this "Typically I would recommend to set volume size to what you think you will need in the coming 6-12 months +10%."

so i would expand to 1,5 tb and would reserve 150 gb for snapshots, right?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:04 pm so i would expand to 1,5 tb and would reserve 150 gb for snapshots, right?
Why on earth would you reserve anything for snapshots if you don't intend to use them? :shock:

If you in a future decide that you need snapshots, then reserve the space at that point. 10% would in my opinion not be enough for effective use of snapshots.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

P3R wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm
nervoteso wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:04 pm so i would expand to 1,5 tb and would reserve 150 gb for snapshots, right?
Why on earth would you reserve anything for snapshots if you don't intend to use them? :shock:

If you in a future decide that you need snapshots, then reserve the space at that point. 10% would in my opinion not be enough for effective use of snapshots.
ok i would use the max size 2 tb
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

this is a screenshot, i don't understand, it tells me i'm over the limit of data vol 1, about the multimedia folder.

https://ibb.co/Jn8LZPf

i've expanded data vol to 1200gb (max is 1450) and deleted snapshots

i'm pasting files againg overwriting the same ones (i couldm't finish cosa volume was full)
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

although i've expanded volume it keeps advertising me that i'm close to 80 per cent of total, very starnge. i'm pasting files of multimedia folder
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 am this is a screenshot...
  1. You have Italian as your preferred language in the Qnap. That make it hard for all of us that don't speak Italian to understand what we're looking at. Please always change the Qnap language to English before posting screenshots in this English-speaking forum.
  2. Your screenshot size is small and when zooming in to try and see anything it become blurry. You can attach images of larger size directly here in the forum. Check out the Attachments tab below the editing window when creating new posts.
Markering_070.png
i've expanded data vol to 1200gb (max is 1450) and deleted snapshots
It doesn't look that way. Your screenshot tell us your volume size is 246.27 GB. Maybe you didn't press the Apply button (or whatever that button say in Italian) when you had changed the size?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

yes i pushed "apply". anyway it is pastinf files altought alert message, maybe i should have restart to apply new limits...

that sc rfeenshot was taken before..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:01 am ...maybe i should have restart to apply new limits...
Not the Qnap at least, the increased volume should apply immediately. I'm not sure how every client will work though. Maybe the unknown client you use need to reconnect or something. You may have to try different things yourself to find out...

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

apart that warning, it seems ok, files copied
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

i've set 604 on 1.16 tb of data vol 1, but storage pool 1 says 1.45/1.63 (89.08 per cent)

nas says tthat storage pool 1 has reached the space alert threshold of 80 per cent, remaining space 182.12 gb.

i don't understand.

i've this red alert always on
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

iit seems alert is about storage pool not data vol1, i try to expand storage pool but i can only to change overprovisioning

https://ibb.co/RPZzDXJ
https://ibb.co/MsRN0w8

i've disabled threshold and red alert is went away

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”