Creating a storage pool failed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Creating a storage pool failed

Post by FrankChutsky »

I have TS-451D2 running 5.0.0.1891
4 disks installed. Three are in two static volume Raid groups:
DataVol1: RAID Group 1: RAID 1: Disk1, Disk2
DataVol2: RAID Group 2: Single Disk: Disk 3: reporting Disk Access History(I/O): Error and Disk SMART Information: Warning

Disk4 is a Seagate ST4000VN00-2AH166 (Same type used in DataVol1) - no errors, warnings. I would like to move the contents of Disk3 onto Disk4 before its too late. So, I need to create a new Static volume Raid group, right?

What I did:
Go to Storage & Snapshots
Storage/Snapshots
Create-->New Volume-->Static Volume
Select Disk4, RAID Type: Single
Volume Alias: DataVol3
Bytes/inode: 32k
Alert Threshold 80%
Finish-->Storage & Snapshots: Creating a storage pool failed

Note: this problem appeared a couple of weeks ago with my old TS-451. I opened a ticket and sat through 2 hour teamviewer session (using SSH connection) After much screwing around, they concluded that my backplane failed - that was why I could not create a new static volume. What do I know? I went out and bought a brand new TS451-D2, migrated my disks to it and am experiencing the exact same problem! Needless to say, qnap service does not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

One other piece of information (that I told Service as well): drive in Disk4 position was previously a happy non-system disk on a Windows 10 computer. Before I moved that disk onto the NAS, I created a single partition, even performed a complete erase (hours and hours!) Is it possible that my problem is that the disk has to be prepared in some special way before QNAP can make us of it? Note: Storage & Snapshot clearly recognizes it, just can't create a usable volume!

Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks
Frank
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Re: Creating a storage pool failed

Post by FrankChutsky »

Wish I knew what the problem was or what the resolution was... gave dev team in Taiwan keys to my NAS and they were able to fix it. They provided no details. The "level 1" support was useless - went through their script - ask for logs, check partitions, request try different drive, etc.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”