Can't start QNAP External Raid Manager anymore.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
hoborocks
New here

Can't start QNAP External Raid Manager anymore.

Post by hoborocks »

Just got two new disks to add a second RAID-0 array (and copy the data from the first array to it so I could use the first array's disks for something else). I popped the disks into the enclosure and they appeared. I went through the steps to add them as a RAID array (without formatting them first - perhaps this was where the error happened...). It got to at least 90%, I walked away to go feed the dog, and when I got back the Manager said it couldn't find any devices. Windows' Disk Management said there was one disk, which I assume was the array, and it had 134 Petabytes. . . .

It may have also tried to update the firmware while it couldn't find the TR-004, because a popup came up saying that a firmware upgrade was available. So I clicked it (got no confirmation it was doing that though...)

Now QNAP manager won't start. I see it start in Task Manager but it quickly goes away. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice now.

Am I SOL? Is there some way to flash a new firmware to the TR-004 (if that's what I need to do)?

Thank you!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Can't start QNAP External Raid Manager anymore.

Post by dolbyman »

I think we had a similar question the other day, afaik the TR00x models do not support multiple RAID groups per unit (and they also do not support expansion or migration, they are VERY limited)

The unit itself should be fine .. try ejecting the current set of disks and restart the device, it should be visible again
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hey @dm. :)

No, it turns out the TR-004 does support multiple RAID groups, if the DIP switches on the rear are set to “Software control” mode.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
hoborocks
New here

Post by hoborocks »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:42 am I think we had a similar question the other day, afaik the TR00x models do not support multiple RAID groups per unit (and they also do not support expansion or migration, they are VERY limited)

The unit itself should be fine .. try ejecting the current set of disks and restart the device, it should be visible again
Thanks dolbyman. I took the disks out and restarted, and the QNAP software still won't start or seemingly find it. (I can access the disks through Windows though.)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@OneCD
ok..then I retract that statement (minus expansion and migration)

but if the TR004 is still dead with ejected disks..ohoh...

I remember threads about dead TR units after firmware updates years ago..other than that..hope it's just a fluke lemon

I'd open a service ticket with QNAP
hoborocks
New here

Post by hoborocks »

Ok, I plugged it into a new computer and it works there. I inserted one of the new drives, it seems there WAS a RAID group created, and now I'm trying to remove it and it's stuck on 90%. Hopefully it finishes soon....
Schnaufer
New here

Post by Schnaufer »

I guess the version you used is 1.4.4 on Windows 10 (maybe); version 1.3.6 could work for me. The following is the error log for version 1.4.4:

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 01/22/22 8:06:29 AM Application Error 1000 (100) "Faulting application name: QNAPRaidMgr.exe, version: 1.4.4.917, time stamp: 0x61445560
Faulting module name: QNAPRaidMgr.exe, version: 1.4.4.917, time stamp: 0x61445560
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00100ce9
Faulting process id: 0x2230
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80f23e6e1b9cc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\QNAP\QNAP External RAID Manager\QNAPRaidMgr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\QNAP\QNAP External RAID Manager\QNAPRaidMgr.exe
Report Id: 6639f7c9-0583-4cc2-9e93-c0e3a08b8914
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "
Schnaufer
New here

Post by Schnaufer »

The support/service team should be aware of this issue; I raised a ticket and got a v1.4.4 build (different build number from the GA one) and it worked with Windows 10 21H2 build 19044.1466; I'm not sure when it will be released, nor if it works on other Windows versions.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”