Cache missing - cannot access volumes, delete cashe, or reinitialize it:-(

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
AirVetra
New here

Cache missing - cannot access volumes, delete cashe, or reinitialize it:-(

Post by AirVetra »

Pls. help, my TS-653B with ext. card for 2 SATA SSDs. Latest firmware.

Ext. card killed one SATA SSD for 2-3 years, than I switched to only one (before there were two identical 254Gb). Lately it started to show that the last one is also ready to die - SMART life expectation.
Today server was able to be accessed with mobile app but bot in other way - i restarted it and than in web-interface it showed that all Volumes is ok but not ready, and the SSD Cache is off - volume for it is not working.
I've already new SSDs (2 SATA 128Gb) - opend server, exchanged the disks, made some cleaning inside, but the server showed that NWW names are duplicated.Ok, i removed one drive and restarted.
But again - is shows - errors in front of all volumes - cache missing. If i try to remove the cashe while pressing the corresponding key - it starts removing than shows not inizialized and error while removing.

If i remove ext. card - it shows the same - no cashe and all volumes is not working...

All the disks is green in Disks/VJBOD - including new SSD one...

Pls. suggest what to do, hope it's not fatal, cache was installed only for reading...

I appreciate any help!
P3R
Guru

Re: Cache missing - cannot access volumes, delete cashe, or reinitialize it:-(

Post by P3R »

Please contact Qnap support for assistance. They're probably very busy right now with all the ransomware victims so expact that it will take a while but it's good to at least get in line as quickly as possible.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
AirVetra
New here

Post by AirVetra »

Support just resolved the problem, trying to ask them what to do to not experience such problem in the future...
Cradz
New here

Post by Cradz »

I'm having this issue due to the automatic firmware update last night.

AirVetra what did support do? Did you not see what they were doing to fix your issue?

I can't downgrade to earlier firmware because you have to remove the cache first to downgrade from 5. What the actual F qnap.
Cradz
New here

Post by Cradz »

Support also fixed my issue and was done all remotely via the HelpDesk app so no way they tell you, they just do it.

If you have this issue put in a support ticket even if you think they won't help you (no maintenance contract) they probably will especially due to this firmware update.

My thanks to qNap support and my annoyance at whoever thought adding a new auto update option auto checked a few firmware back was a great idea.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Cradz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:08 pm If you have this issue put in a support ticket even if you think they won't help you (no maintenance contract) they probably will especially due to this firmware update.
It's not about this firmware.

Qnap don't have any paid support or contracts. It's free, also outside the warranty period, until the day the NAS in question have passed it's end of support date. That also mean that you never have any guaranteed maximum time until you're being helped and they don't offer 24/7 availability. For that you will have to get a support contract with a 3rd party.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”