Expanding storage

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
RBK132
New here

Expanding storage

Post by RBK132 »

I currently have an TS-228A, where I have an 2 TB (or 3 TB?) harddrive installed. I think it's configured to not use all the space, but unsure how to adjust or see that. When I installed it I thought it would last forever, but turns out that I just fill it up with more junk as I have more space. So now I want to expand in order to fill it with more junk.

1. How do I expand the storage, keeping my old data? Lets say I buy a new 6 (or 4) TB harddrive. Is there any easy how-tos to do that? I'm not very advanced but I'm usually capable of following guides.
2. I currently have only 1 harddrive, which means that if it fails I probably am in trouble. Is it possible to lets say add another 6 TB harddrive to my QNAP, and have it as redundancy/backup/copy somehow? Thus removing my original 2/3 TB harddrive, as I only have space for 2 harddrives in the QNAP.

Thanks in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Expanding storage

Post by dolbyman »

Buy two 6 or 4TB drives and convert to RAID1 (see manual) ..also make sure to always have external backups (e.g. USB drive)
RBK132
New here

Post by RBK132 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:56 pm Buy two 6 or 4TB drives and convert to RAID1 (see manual) ..also make sure to always have external backups (e.g. USB drive)
Thank you for your answer! I'm sorry for my late reply, but it has been difficult to find the time to sit down and figure it out.

I've looked it up and it seems that there is no data loss when converting from single to RAID1. When buying 2 drives (6 or 4 TB) for RAID1 setup, are there any clever ways I can do it in order to keep my original data? Because when doing that I also will be replacing the original drive, so I must transfer the data on the original drive over somehow.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If everything goes smooth, there is no data loss in the conversion. But always prepare for the worst...so that's why external backups are needed
RBK132
New here

Post by RBK132 »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 pm If everything goes smooth, there is no data loss in the conversion. But always prepare for the worst...so that's why external backups are needed
Thanks for the reply!
I have now added another drive (6 TB), migrated to RAID 1, rebuilding was okay. I then removed the original disk, booted it up again and I observe that all my files are there. Which is very good. Which leads me to my next question:

How do I expand the storage so I can use the entire disk?

I go to storage and snapshots => choose volume (I only have 1) => administration => change size of volume.

It reports the max size to be around 3000 GB, which was the size of the old disk.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

have you looked at the manual?

otherwise post pictures of your storage management (static volume or storage pool)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”