Do volumes unmount during file system check?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
whistlerdan
Starting out

Do volumes unmount during file system check?

Post by whistlerdan »

I recently got the warning message about the file system not being clean. of course, it requested to run the file system check, which I did.

On one volume, this happened quickly and completed.

My other volume, however, was suddenly unmounted. And this caused various error messages to appear because the log storage location was set to the volume that had now vanished.

I thought something was wrong, so I rebooted the NAS and then everything seemed fine.

I contacted support, and they told me that when you run the file system check, the volume must unmount to do the check. But that doesn't make sense to me because one of my volumes did not unmount, and the check was completed on that volume. And also, I swear I have run this test multiple times in the past and never seen this happen before.

I also feel that if the plan was for file system check to unmount your volume, it would explicitly tell you this, right? You are going to lose access to your files for an indeterminate amount of time if this is the case. Support actually told me it could be "up to 48 hours".

I'm just trying to find out what is normal because this will surely come up again at some point.
syncthing
Know my way around

Re: Do volumes unmount during file system check?

Post by syncthing »

a file system check usually happens on an unmounted filesystem
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

A volume must be unmounted in order for a file system (e2fsck) check to be performed.

These types of check are usually required when a NAS is not powered down gracefully. Under normal use there should be no need to perform a volume check.

I have been using Linux since 1993, and I have never seen a volume check take more than a few minutes of most systems, and up to an hour on really low power CPU system that had a very large volume.

RAID scrubbing can take several hours to a couple of days to complete, but RAID scrubbing is not a volume check.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
Ramrunner
New here

Post by Ramrunner »

Did anyone get an answer to this?

Whenever mine does a file check (which is always successful), it also does not remount the volume.

Unfortunately my NAS seems to reset whenever I do a Hybrid Backup Sync to a Microsoft Onedrive, requiring me to do the file check.

After the file check I have to restart to get the volume back.

Obviously there's multiple issues here in the fact the NAS should not reset after a backup (the backup completes). It should also remount the volume after a file check.

Is QTS just THAT buggy?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”