Unable to create a new storage pool and unable to access existing healthy pools

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
BalooDottie
Starting out

Unable to create a new storage pool and unable to access existing healthy pools

Post by BalooDottie »

So, during my post here (I lost all data (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166474) I lost all data (I have backups elsewhere).

I was unable to get the 5 main disks of my TS-932X to get joined into the same pool, so I removed the entire RAID array.
Now I want to create a new storage pool, but for some reason I cannot create one.
QNAP reports :
Error 2022-05-21 14:28:20 System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Storage Pool [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create storage pool.
Error 2022-05-21 14:27:16 System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create disk partitions. Disk: Host: Disk 3.

Before my previous post on access, disk 3 was reported as not installed/disconnected. Then I replaced it. After the raid rebuild completed, disk 3 was immediately kicked out again, causing my previous post.
So I am wondering if there is a hardware failure with my NAS preventing me from using disk 3.
Note, I ran a rapid test on disk 3 and that turned up no errors.

I just tried to create a RAID 6 with only disks 1,2, 4, and 5. This failed too:
Error 2022-05-21 14:58:44 System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Storage Pool [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create storage pool.

I cannot find more details on what causes the errors.

In addition to that,

I have 4 additional disks in slots S1, S2, S3, and S4 of my TS932X.

After having reinitialised the NAS to factory settings I'm trying to set it up so I can access my files from S1-4 again.
How can I do that?
I tried qfinder > network drives, and I select the default indicated IP address 192.168.147.167, and I tried SMB/CIFS. I ticked the box to add mounted folders to favorites in Finder.
I get the error "there was a problem connecting to the server "192.168.147.167. There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. contact admin".
When I try the FTP option, I get the error "there was a problem connecting to the server "192.168.147.167. This file server will not allow any additional users to log on. try to connect again later".

When I look at Filestation 5 on the NAS, it tells me no volume has been created. I don't want to create a new volume on the existing S1-2, S3, and S4 disks, out of fear that the data on those drives also will get lost.

How do I fix this? How do I get access back to those disks?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to create a new storage pool and unable to access existing healthy pools

Post by dolbyman »

why are you creating threads left and right?

Storage pool creation issue
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166497&p=818903#p818903
Old disk access issue
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166498&p=818908#p818908

This will only generate confusion and not more help, I have already advised you to contact qnap for assistance
OneCD
Guru

Re: Unable to create a new storage pool and unable to access existing healthy pools

Post by OneCD »

* duplicate topics removed *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

@dolbyman, didn’t mean to duplicate, just thought it was more appropriate in this forum.
@onecd, thanks for helping clean it up.

Is it Possible to create a new storage pool via ssh? If so, how would I do that?

Alternative: is it possible to format each drive via the gui prior to creating the pool, or is this not really required?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I am confused what you are trying to do..

Rescue your data or kill the NAS and start from scratch?
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

ok, lets see if I can keep this simple.
I have a TS932X, which has 5 3.5" bays, and 4 2.5" bays.
Originally I used 5x [3.5" with 2TB per drive] in RAID 5, 2x [2.5" with 1TB per drive] in RAID 1, and 2x [2.5" with 1TB per drive] as separate drives. So effectively I had 4 storage pools.

The previous issues resulted in me losing the content of the 5x2TB pool. I'm trying to create a new storage pool for those 5 drives. the unit is unable to do so and reports that it is not able to do so. There are no other faults reported. So this is one issue.

The other issue is the remaining 3 pools. I don't want to loose this data. The NAS seems to recognise that these 3 pools exist, but I am not able to read the data from them.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As the OS is on the drives, you cannot start from scratch but keep the data intact at the same time

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”