NAS spins up hard drives even when off

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
PrIsMaTiSm
Starting out

NAS spins up hard drives even when off

Post by PrIsMaTiSm »

Hello there,

I have a TS-230 NAS device and I am experiencing an issue whereby the NAS case spins up both hard drives every 3 or so minutes when the device is powered off. Is this something I am not aware of? It does this regardless if the NAS is connected to internet or not. I have heard of ways to determine what things are allowing the drives to spin up from standby mode, but to my knowledge, this only applies to units that are booted up. This is getting very annoying as I have to completely disconnect the NAS from the power source just so the drives won't spin needlessly.

Any insight would be appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS spins up hard drives even when off

Post by dolbyman »

Yes..there is a couple of threads about it ..it's an inherent flaw with this model
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

it's difficult to nail down to get this feature to work flawlessly....

unless u know how to set this up right, most of us gave up and just disabled that setting :{
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This issue (disks spin up in while the NAS standby(!) )is specific to this modell

this is not the usual problem that the disks do not sleep
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I think the OP is saying their NAS HDDs spin-up even with the NAS powered off. So, the NAS shouldn't be in standby mode. :'

My TS-230 does not do this. When I power it off, it stays off - no HDD activity (well, at least I haven't noticed any).

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PrIsMaTiSm
Starting out

Post by PrIsMaTiSm »

dolbyman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 am Yes..there is a couple of threads about it ..it's an inherent flaw with this model
Could you reference said threads? I couldn't find anything directly related to my issue. This is why I started a new post.
PrIsMaTiSm
Starting out

Post by PrIsMaTiSm »

dolbyman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:05 am This issue (disks spin up in while the NAS standby(!) )is specific to this modell

this is not the usual problem that the disks do not sleep
Yeah, I do not believe my problem to be related to this since as stated in the original post, it happens when powered off.

I do also have the problem when the NAS is not in use that kicks the hard disks out of standby for some reason. I am looking at resolving this issue now in hopes it is somehow related to why my disks would spin up even after it is properly shutdown.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

PrIsMaTiSm
Starting out

Post by PrIsMaTiSm »

Thanks for the information. The german page has a much more in-depth conversation on this problem. This is probably why I found nothing here.

I guess I will look for a return if the warranty is not up yet. I have not had good luck with QNAP software, OR hardware at this point. I'm thinking Synology will be a better option in the future.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

latest post in the German forum says that QNAP is apparently working on a fix ..no release date was given though

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”