Create JBOD storage pool

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
PadrePinnacle
New here

Create JBOD storage pool

Post by PadrePinnacle »

Hi, I should create a storage pool for my nas. With these discs, 6tb, 4tb, 3tb and 1tb. After creating a jbod storage pool, do I need to create a jbod volume as well?
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Create JBOD storage pool

Post by FSC830 »

Sure you need to create a volume. But volume is not related to any raid (or non-raid) layout.
The pool refers to the disk configuration. If you create a JBOD pool your volume(s) is spread over the disks in pool and therefore independent from the disk layout, its "parent object" is the pool.

Regards
PadrePinnacle
New here

Post by PadrePinnacle »

FSC830 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:40 pm Sure you need to create a volume. But volume is not related to any raid (or non-raid) layout.
The pool refers to the disk configuration. If you create a JBOD pool your volume(s) is spread over the disks in pool and therefore independent from the disk layout, its "parent object" is the pool.

Regards
my brother on his nas created a jbod volume without creating Storage pool. that's why I asked.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

PadrePinnacle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:04 pm ...
After creating a jbod storage pool, do I need to create a jbod volume as well?
This was your question! Not if a (JBOD) volume can be created without a pool!
On a current NAS you have two options: static volumes or pools. Each can consist with one or multiple disks, the raid (or non-raid) configuration is done at this level.
Afterwards you can create one or multiple volumes, but you do not have any option the modify the underlaying disk configuration at this point.

On an older NAS there is no pool, just raid-groups with so-called legacy volumes. At these NAS a volume covers always the complete size of the raid-group (ou can not create two volumes at the same raid-group). The raid level is also set at raid-group objects, not at volume objects.

If your brother has such a NAS a pool does not exist.

Regards
PadrePinnacle
New here

Post by PadrePinnacle »

ok, thank you for your answers. :)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”