QNAP TL-1600S RAID 6 Configuration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Mahdois
New here

QNAP TL-1600S RAID 6 Configuration

Post by Mahdois »

I already use a TVS-882BR and bought a TL-D1600s to expand my first NAS.
Only problem, in the meantime, I was able to get a very powerful central unit so I changed my project and I want to connect my TL-D1600s directly to the central unit without going through the old TVS-882BR.
I want to take advantage of the power of this unit (I9 12900K and 32G DDR5) but I also want to configure the disks of the TL-D1600s in RAID6 and if possible install windows on the unit.
So my question, is there a software or even a hardware (RAID Card whether connected to QNAP or even to the PC) that would allow me to configure my hardware (PC I9 DDR5 & QNAP TL-D1600S with 12x disks 3.5) knowing that I have 2 preferences that I would like to respect:
- Configure the 12 disks in RAID 6
- Use of the Windows OS for the PC

NB: I am ready to invest in a software or a RAID card :!:

Thanks for your advices.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TL-1600S RAID 6 Configuration

Post by dolbyman »

Your "Central Unit"? I guess you mean "PC/Workstation" ?

Windows compatibility is given with the cards mentioned on the product page
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tl-d1600s

https://www.qnap.com/go/product/qxp-expansion-card

Install you OS of choice on your machine (do not install it on the QNAP expansion) and then create a RAID5 via Windows Storage Spaces (I don't think RAID6 is natively supported)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... Windows_10
Mahdois
New here

Post by Mahdois »

Yes, I meant PC.
Thank you for your reply.
I already installed Windows 10 on the PC and tried using the QXP-1600eS card that came with the TL-D1600.
But I prefer to configure my disks in RAID6 and not in JBOD, which my current configuration does not allow me. Even "Qnap External Raid Manager" software doesn't support my TL-D1600S.
So if I understood correctly I must get one of the RAID cards mentioned in the product page (Areca, Broadcom, Microsemi or HighPoint). Thank you for the link
In my case, which of these 4 cards could you advise me?

For the configuration of disks directly via windows (Jbod with parity), in my case (12x 16TO disks), I would have a storage space of 124TO, by tale with the RAID6 I would have a storage space of 155TO and the advantage of allowing "2 disks failure"

Thanks again
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP external RAID manager is for the TR units .. As said Windows supports building RAID5 from external JBOD enclosures, just not RAID6

And Yes, if you want to utilize a hardware RAID card, compatible cards are given on the bottom of the product page (they will use the TL as a JBOD enclosure)
external_RAID.jpg

Honestly though for the price of the TL-D1600S + a ARC-1883X you can almost buy a 1688X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mahdois
New here

Post by Mahdois »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 am QNAP external RAID manager is for the TR units .. As said Windows supports building RAID5 from external JBOD enclosures, just not RAID6

And Yes, if you want to utilize a hardware RAID card, compatible cards are given on the bottom of the product page (they will use the TL as a JBOD enclosure)
external_RAID.jpg

Honestly though for the price of the TL-D1600S + a ARC-1883X you can almost buy a 1688X
Thank you Dolbyman

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”