Can't access data

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
guitarman
New here

Can't access data

Post by guitarman »

I had an older QNAP that failed I replaced it with a new QNAP TVS-x72XT. I took the old raid array and placed it in to the new qnap and was able to recover my data. I put a new single disk in and created a static volume to recover the data to. I only had so many bays and had to do this with 2 single static volumes. So I had to remove them with the "Remove" button. After I was done I put in new disks in the new QNAP and tried to recover the data that I had copied to the single static volumes. But I can no longer recover them. When I hit the recover button it says no storage pools. Of course I never created a storage pool. I created a static volume. I know the data is there I connected the disks to a USB enclosure, connected it to my windows laptop and scanned it with an evaluation version of "ReclaiMe" and I was able to view the data. I couldn't copy from there as they want $200 to register. But at least I confirmed the data was there.
But when I slide it in to a bay on the new QNAP (where it was in the first place) it recognizes it as a good disk but I can't get the QNAP to access the data.
The "Reinitialize Enclosure ID" is greyed out. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
So is there any way I can get access to the data. This disk was originally formatted on this new QNAP before the data was transferred to it. I removed the disk with the remove button but did not format it. The fact that I can see the data with a software program on my windows computer confirms its there.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Can't access data

Post by dolbyman »

The correct way for a recovery to other disks is to do it EXTERNALLY (USB), never backup or recover to internal drives (they are not simple drives, they have system partitions are are not readable with other devices without special knowlage or software)

Pay the price for your errors (200 bucks recovery software) or open a ticket with QNAP (they could remote in to fix your mess, maybe) and in the future have external (!) backups at ALL times
guitarman
New here

Post by guitarman »

Yes they have system partitions that should be able to be easily read in the system they were created. I'm just ping ponging data back and forth between single static volumes on to a raid in the QNAP. It should be able to read it. Messing around with external USB disks is a whole other nightmare I'd like to avoid.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

"Messing around with external USB disks is a whole other nightmare I'd like to avoid."

What are your plans for doing backups?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Exactly, the nightmare will be if you do NOT have backups (as you have just learned)

Backups are a MUST, a lesson many have paid with professional recovery money or their data (and tears)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”