Help needed: Not able to recover RAID1 on TS-253Pro after Power Outage

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Blackbird72
Starting out

Re: Help needed: Not able to recover RAID1 on TS-253Pro after Power Outage

Post by Blackbird72 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:54 am
Something weird must have happened .. maybe some corrupted entry in the raid config

Whatever you tried could have caused this issue
Yeah. A power outage and multiple trials to correct the system again... :roll:

I assume I can access and edit the raid config via ssh. Correct?
(Sorry I did not yet dig into the SSH topics :ashamed:)
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

I was able to connect via PuTTy/SSH to the system. Will reboot it in maintenance mode in some hours and look for the raid conf. Or would you recommend to use the rescue mode without the discs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You could also just quit the console with Q to get to the regular shell
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

Thanks. raid.conf opened and data_0 and data_1 entries found. See screenshot.

I assume it is not a good idea to just remove the data_1 entry as well as the pd_5000 with the same number and reboot the system?

I copied the raid.conf to raid.old - but the risk is, if the system does not start anymore - I will not be able to access the raid.... files. Correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that is "just" md1, the raid with your data on it .. all the system stuff is on other raids

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat
This shows you the status of all internal RAIDs
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

I added two screenshots on mdadm --query --detail /dev/md1 and cat /proc/mdstat.

In my assumption md1 is the corrupted RAID1:
I stepped away from editing the raid.conf and was thinking about forcing it from RAID1 to single by "mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --raid-devices=1 --force" (Which I took from the description of the spanish guy (ganekogorta)).
Hoping to be able to extend it back to RAID1 afterwards... 8)

On first thought it is strange not find anything on disk2 /dev/sdb on the results of cat /proc/mdstat. On second thought it is okay, because I was not able to access it, yet. So no partititions. BUT: Why does it say than "unused devices: <none>"?
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

Looking into md9 and md13 it is strange to me that the system states to have 24 Raid devices...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

24 is just the maximum NAS size..these raids go across all internal drives normally (up to 24)

so none of the internal raids has the second drive as member..try a reboot with the good disk and then hotswap the cleaned second drive in
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

I turned of the NAS and removed disk2 (6TB) which is the one I am not able to add again. After restart of the NAS (with empty bay 2) the system still showed disk1 two times for volume1. The raid.conf still showed both entries, too.

Therefore I decided to use:
mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --raid-devices=1 --force
via SSH to downgrade the RAID1 to single disk.

After a reboot in the user interface the volume was now shown "ready", but still the disk1 was shown two times.
Therefore I decided to check raid.conf and saw that still data_0 and data_1 were shown and I removed the two hints to the second disk.
After that and another reboot volume1 was gone. :-0 And I was expecting to need my backup...
Same after deleting data_0 (instead of deleteing data_1) from the raid.conf and another reboot.

After copying back the original raid.conf and another reboot the volume1 was reinitiated. With only one reference to disk1! No bakcup needed. 8)

I assume (and really do not know) that these references shown in the user interface are not the ones from raid.conf and that they had to be rebuilt by reconnecting the disk to the volume. What do you think?

Hot"plugging" the second disk, it was recocnized again - and finally I was able to upgrade the "single disk raid" back to a RAID1 with both disks.

The user interface states 15h for rebuilt - but this does not matter... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Even though I do not understand what happend in the background when editing the raid.conf I learned a lot of things.

So thanks for all the support - especially to dolbyman!

PS: Disk2 was checked in a windows PC with diskpart - no partitions. So I am quite sure the error was in some corrupted configuration files.
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

PPS: I did not forget about the UPS. Will check compatibilty after rebuilt is done.

PPPS: Was curios what happend to raid.conf
Here the result - only two things changed:
  • chunkSize = 512 (was 0)
  • data_1 = 2, 5000C500C679A5B7 (the "2" was "1" like in the line for data_0)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”