Help needed recovering RAID group

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dhar
New here

Help needed recovering RAID group

Post by dhar »

I have a TS-853A configured with 2 storage pools of 4 x 4Gb disks. Storage pool 2 is fine, but I have an issue with pool 1.

Disk 2 in pool 1 flagged a warning so I ordered a replacement, but in the meantime, disk 3 (which had been ok) died completely. As a result, I swapped out disk 3 and replaced it with the new one. Disk 2 with a warning is still in place, and I've ordered a second replacement, but that's for later.

I've done this kind of maintenance in the past and everything has recovered automatically, but now despite all my efforts I can't get the RAID array to rebuild.

Below is the output of md_checker which shows disk 3 as missing from group 1. However it is definitely in place and can be seen in the QNAP GUI.

Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated! I must admit I'm not an expert with the raid related commands.
I have a suspicion that the issue could be due to the Last Update Time on disk 2 being far in the past, however didn't find any info on this.

Code: Select all

[~] # md_checker                                               

Welcome to MD superblock checker (v2.0) - have a nice day~

Scanning system...

RAID metadata found!
UUID:		9888062c:f4796f14:581618cd:0e30e7cd
Level:		raid5
Devices:	4
Name:		md1
Chunk Size:	512K
md Version:	1.0
Creation Time:	Jan 16 12:29:04 2022
===============================================================================================
 Enclosure | Port | Block Dev Name | # | Status |   Last Update Time   | Events | Array State
===============================================================================================
 NAS_HOST       1        /dev/sdc3   0   Active   Aug 11 04:00:16 2022   172767   A.AA                     
 NAS_HOST       2        /dev/sda3   1   Active   Jul 28 19:07:26 2022    23742   AAAA                     
 ----------------------------------  2  Missing   -------------------------------------------
 NAS_HOST       4        /dev/sdd3   3   Active   Aug 11 04:00:16 2022   172767   A.AA                     

RAID metadata found!
UUID:		98d281d2:4fb39d64:3ad92197:736cc7e7
Level:		raid5
Devices:	4
Name:		md2
Chunk Size:	512K
md Version:	1.0
Creation Time:	Dec 27 16:25:12 2017
 Enclosure | Port | Block Dev Name | # | Status |   Last Update Time   | Events | Array State
 NAS_HOST       5        /dev/sde3   0   Active   Aug 13 18:48:53 2022      387   AAAA                     
 NAS_HOST       6        /dev/sdf3   1   Active   Aug 13 18:48:53 2022      387   AAAA                     
 NAS_HOST       7        /dev/sdg3   2   Active   Aug 13 18:48:53 2022      387   AAAA                     
 NAS_HOST       8        /dev/sdh3   3   Active   Aug 13 18:48:53 2022      387   AAAA                     

[~] # 
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Help needed recovering RAID group

Post by dosborne »

This sure seems to be a recurring issue lately as it seems more and more people have had more than one drive fail ...
one such recent example viewtopic.php?f=15&t=167333

I've never had this situation so can't offer much help other than to say there are a number of existing threads to find via search (I'm sure others will be more helpful) but, my first step would be to contact qnap support as they (in theory at least) know how to handle this sort of thing, although multiple drive failure generally requires a restoration from backup.

If you don't have a backup, but still have at least degraded access, I'd get on creating a backup ASAP :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dhar
New here

Post by dhar »

I've been searching, and (thanks to a post from dolbyman) this brought the RAID5 back online:

mdadm -CfR --assume-clean /dev/md1 -l 5 -n 4 -c 64 -e 1.0 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd3
but the storage pool has disappeared - and nothing mounted on /share/CACHEDEV2_DATA.
Any ideas here would be appreciated too....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

glad I could help ;)

you could try to reinit the LVM

/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh
MohsinSyed
New here

Post by MohsinSyed »

I am stuck in a similar situation and would really appreciate if dolbyman or someone could assist me in recovering my RAID5 storage pool on a TS-451+. I have 4 disks in the bay and they are 2 TB each. I am a novice when it comes to Linux syntax so will need some specific instructions to troubleshoot it. I have reached out to QNAP support but because my device is now out of warranty, support options are not available.

I have tried to perform to Recover the RAID group through the GUI however, get an error message. The disks all seem to be good. I ran a health test on all the disks and they were completed without errors.

I have attached a few screenshots that might give an idea on whats going on. Hoping someone can guide me. i have been able to connect through Putty and run any command to get additional information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP normally helps with all software cases, no matter if in ot out of warranty

What exactly happened?

What is the backup situation?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

:' md_checker reports 3 disks out of 4 missing?
Whereas disk3 reports 1 missing?

As already requested provide information what happenend exactly and what (if any) tasks you already did.

Regards

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”