"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by dolbyman »

Qsnapz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:36 am Just wondering if your second TS-563 ever developed the same problem? Were the hard drives the same model on both systems?
Doubt this poster will reply after 5 years
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

I only scanned through this 45 page folder - my QNAP 253 Pro today also showed the "Disconnect" and "Failed to Access"-issue on bay 2. In parallel the disk was sounding like starting to spin up, but not completing it. I did not measure the frequency but assumption is 0.5 Hz...
As the HDD will not stay healthy in that condition I uninstalled it and started to look in forum for hardware diagnosis - and hit this feed. I am quite sure it is the backplane after reading in the forum, but did not connect the disc to an external power supply, yet.

It seems that this is mostly or even only for 4 bays and up. And especially for 253 it seems there was a software issue. Anybody here with a failed 2-bay QNAP NAS due to backplane issue?
Blackbird72
Starting out

Post by Blackbird72 »

It is now proven, that my QNAP TS-253Pro also suffers from backplane failure:
- NAS works fine with external power supply connected to the disk of bay 2.
- The newer hard drive from bay 2 (2 years old, while the other is ~7 years old) shows 30 times higher power cycle count (~1400 vs. 56).

I did not find the backplane QW68 (see photo) in the bay. Is the only option really to solder?
Does anybody know a way to purchase the QW68?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanmgman@telus.net
First post

Post by vanmgman@telus.net »

Just to Bump this Thread and add another Detail on the TS-451 .. Mine never had any disks in slots 3/4 until I bought a few months back , and what do you know they don't detect ..

QNAP support was helpful , but of course came to conclusion that "BackPlane Defective " .. Of course I had found this thread already ..

My MosFets have a different number on them, but I decided to try the "Bridge Solder" trick .. The Disks weren't detected on Plugin Live (One By One) but after a reboot they detected ..

I will see how long the setup lasts, and then if still failure I will consider replacing the MosFets

QNAP , this was a Defect in Design and Part Choice , sorry to say ..
cchhrriiss11
First post

Post by cchhrriiss11 »

Just came here to report that I also experienced a backplane failure on an 8-bay QNAP TS-853A this past Saturday!

After 5+ years of flawless operation, under fairly heavy use (backup to disk storage for VEEAM), I received a barrage of e-mail alerts from the QNAP indicating that multiple drives had been "unplugged" all at the same time. In my case, drive bays 1 and 2 are working, and 3 through 8 are non-functional. The drives are definitely getting power, but there's no I/O at all.

Definitely a bit disappointing, but at least I'll be replacing it with a bit beefier unit (QNAP TS-832PXU).

-Chris
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure you checked the migration guide before....832PXU is a limited ARM Platform and X86/X64 to ARM is mostly not supported..
ildar
First post

Post by ildar »

Here is my experience.
on TS431p 4 bay QNAP with 4 WD 8 Tb drives:
after firmware update in June, do not remember label. 4th bay started reporting disk errors. I was away for some time. OUpon return the 4th drive was off and RAID5 degraded. Inserting a new drive in 4th slot kicked in RAID rebuild which failed shortly in. Drive was not recognized at all after that. Nothing helped except the update to the new firmware, the latest as for now, QTS 5.0.1.2145 dated 09.03 2022. The disk was recognized after the update and RAID started rebuilding again.
There might be other, besides firmware, factors involved: dusty not well ventilated box, hot ambient temperature.

After about 20 min rebuild 4th drive became RED again, temperature never exceeded 42 C. I think I need to try to downgrade firmware now.
jazzfog
Starting out

Post by jazzfog »

Looks like I am having the same issue, started around Sept 7th.
I have TS-253 Pro and the Disk 2 keeps disconnecting.
Have not contacted the QNAP support yet.
equ1nt1s
Starting out

Post by equ1nt1s »

Is there a summation of this thread with some of the "fixes"?

Seeing the same thing, drives not throwing any SMART errors, but consistent drives are starting to fail/unplug and only a reboot brings them back up.
KingRyu
Starting out

Post by KingRyu »

foz111 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm The problem is definitely on that backplane board not the main board, i say that will 100% certainty because i took a gamble and purchased a complete but none booting broken ts-253 pro, it had 8gb ram and mine only had 4 and gave £50 for it from eBay so thought it was worth a punt, hoping i could salvage the ram and backplane, it arrived this week and on Thursday evening i removed the RAM and the backplane board and placed into my nas, now my nas is functioning correctly with both drives inserted and in raid 1, and now with 8gb ram :D . I am not normally this lucky :-0
I will at some stage have a go at seeing if i can get the broken one booting but seems to me to be a bios issue as i get no beeps or hdmi output when starting up but that's another story and thread for another day.
I was hoping to get this backplane working if possible just in case the other failed at some stage, currently i have a usb fan now blowing air in towards the hdd trays and the main fan set manual - medium speed now running between 29 and 32c where it always seemed to be 34-36 before.
Thanks again

P.S. I can and will upload some photos of the main board but it will be from the broken none booting nas if that''s ok? same board so hopefully you'll get to see what you want to from that.
Just to add, it's been working since Thursday evening so approx 40 hours up time and fingers crossed no issues or messages about failing SMART errors so far, both drives showing healthy and working as should but not wanting to tempt fate.
Did you purchase a new qnap nas sata backplane qw48 from EBAY? Can you give me a link to purchase, I'm also in the same situation with my qnap
nassed
New here

Post by nassed »

Hi,

Have a similar problem that is mentioned in this thread with drives 3/4 allegedly showing faults and then dropping out. I have a TS-431 that I took a punt on from pebay and initially I put 4 x 1tb drives in it and it spat out the drives 3/4 but it wasn't consistent for example I put the drives in from first start and it would be ok for a few hours whilst I wasn't doing anything and even let me build a RAID 5 on the first three drives but then decided to spit bay three out. Never an issue with drives one and two only 3/4. I then left the NAS over night reset it and it would do the same.

So I checked the compatability list and the two drives it was spitting out were not in it so I set up drives 1/2 on a RAID one (worked fine and I presume would have kept working fine as I left it for a few days without issue) I had an old 160gb disc sitting around and I threw that in to bay 3/4 for 24 hours each to test the backboard theory and it worked fine, didn't spit it out or anything when I left it for about 3 days each time for test.

So at this point I had a 4tb drive that worked fine in a USB docking station to the TS-431 and went and brought three X 4tb WD40PURX as they say they are compatible and put all 4 drives in and left the unit idle then within about 30 mins it spat out drives 3/4 again so I did some testing again with the two X 4tb drives it wasn't spitting out from bays 1/2 and it decided it wanted to spit those out also when in bays 3/4. At this point im thinking what is it bad drives?, ive tested the backplate theory with the 160gb drive so it cant be that? so I had read through most of this thread and was at the point of looking at bridging the mosfets but needed to make an account to view the pictures and I noticed MooseyZone post on page 43,
MooseyZone wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:49 pm
bruno@Landnet.ro wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm Hi,

Have the same problem with an TS-431xeu. It worked fine from April till 2 weeks ago.
On 2nd Nov it suddenly lost disk 3 from RAID. I thought the drive failed so I was going to buy a new one. But first I plugged out the drive and reinsert it. Surprise: it rebuilt the RAID volume and worked fine until 4 Nov.
On 4 Nov a firmware update happened (Updated system from version 4.5.3.1652(20210428) to 4.5.4.1800(20210923)) and Disk 1 failed right after reboot! Same procedure (out and back in) solved the problem.
Today disk 3 failed again after rebooting from a firmware update (Updated system from version 4.5.4.1800(20210923) to 5.0.0.1850(20211111)).
NAS is still under warranty, so I'll send it to RMA.

Bruno
if you look a few posts up, will see my TS-451DeU-2G mainly having your exact problem,I found that the smart fan kept the whole unit fairly hot.
Check all the disk temperatures that they ure under 40c(this seems to be the cut-off point for disconnects) , These large disks have operating temps in 50c, which is fine for the disk but the NAS overheats.
Long story short.. I turned off smart fan, set manual speed at about 65% and disks are now 37 -39c and everything seems ok now.

IMO: poor design by Qnap, I am replacing this NAS with something that can handle large disks and heat, I think I will put some 4tb Reds in this 451 as they run under 30c, otherwise I will be buying fans every year.
So I thought I may as well give it a try before I get the solder gun out and turned off 'SMART' fan and on the TS-431 it only has three manual settings low, medium and high. So I set it to high and re-sat the disks and nothing, no beeps no disconnects nothing after a few hours, set it to medium same nothing no beeps and no disconnects.

Long story short it is now building a raid 5 on the 4 x 4tb disks with the fan set to high (I will lower it when the disks are not doing as much work) and has been building now for over 12 hours without any issue. I will update if this fails or it starts spitting out bays 3/4 but it is looking at the moment for me at least it is a simple as a 'SMART' fan not being so smart and this is possibly down to a cooling/design issue. I notice many people reported this issue after an update, perhaps the 'SMART' fan operating parameters/temps were changed in the update?.
nassed
New here

Post by nassed »

Update. After turning the 'SMART' fan control off and manually setting the fan to "High Speed" for a raid 5 build on 4 x 4tb hd the TS-431 built the raid ok and sat fine. So to keep testing I lowered the fan speed to "Medium Speed" and the unit sat fine for approx 10 hours. To further test the unit before putting data on to it I lowered the fan to "Low Speed". Within about 30 mins of lowering the fan speed I got a alleged drive error on bay 4 and a disconnect. I upped the fan speed to "Medium Speed" and disconnected the drive "hot swap" and re-inserted the drive and it did not register at all, so I restarted the TS-431 and it now shows the alleged faulty drive as a good drive but will not allow the unit to re-build the raid and shows as error.

As only one disk as in bay 4 dropped the raid 5 should re-build itself but as the TS-431 has pucked on itself and cant even deliver this basic function.

So glad I didn't actually copy any data onto this unit. It is not fit for purpose. This was my first venture into the world of NAS and tbh it is a strange world. Don't think I will ever purchase a QNAP again or another NAS tbh. Total time sink (month so far) for little reward (a NAS is not a back up). Found myself trying to convince my wife of the benefits of being able to share/sync/view our files over the net whilst also explaining the pitfalls of Qlocker/deadbolt.

Think I will just stick with a USB caddy and dupe my backups, I guess sometimes things can be overcomplicated when they don't need to be. Gonna sling this piece of junk TS-431 on pebay.
KingRyu
Starting out

Post by KingRyu »

I want to tell you that I also had a problem with "Disk Failed", in my case one of the SATA connectors on the board (QNAP TS-251+ (qw48 sata backplane) went wrong. I talked to QNAP customer service and purchased this SATA card that was burned, I replaced it with the fault and Everything is back to working properly.
dusanko
New here

Post by dusanko »

I have similar experience.
Came home from being off for three days and NAS was offline.
Found out it was really OFF, turned it on and it took very long to boot the NAS.
I also found the second disk LED was RED.
Logged in, the second disk was not present.
I have also found that i had two temperature related messages, one somethig about reaching threshold of 70°C and second said that NAS is shutting down due to too high temperature of 127°C. What the hell.

Anyway, measuring the voltages on output of the mentioned MOSFET, i found 0V.
I have also found that the fan is running @ same speed and does not spin up on boot as it used to do and also, when booted, i cant see the system temperature and FAN RPM.

To me it looks like the controller of the fan which probably measures the system temperature got failed and that one probably takes care of turning on the 2nd disk.

I have desoldered and solderen new MOSFET, no change, disk is not powered.

At the end, i bridged the pads when MOSFET desoldered, disk boots up, system takes too long to boot, but when booted, disk is present and rebuild is running.

Pretty awkward situation i would say :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elwxl
First post

Post by elwxl »

TS-451+
Had my NAS powered of for a couple of months. Before that it worked flawless since purchase, about 2017 I think. Now none of the drives detect, the NAS thinks it is a fresh install. Will try the jumper-solution later. Also got the 250 dollar options to send it on repair. Will use that money to buy another NAS-solution instead of ever buying something that says QNAP after this ordeal.

Tried reading my disks with an adapter from my computer, but all of them reports as 0B in size, so they can't even be analyzed. It detects a disk connected, /dev/sdc appears with lsblk but size is 0B and fdisk cannot open it.

I was reading this thread but never saw anyone mentioning if they drives in the NAS was toast after this problem?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”