QNAP TS-453Be-2G can't ping, in router client list...

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
nebti5
New here

QNAP TS-453Be-2G can't ping, in router client list...

Post by nebti5 »

I'm now on a second go-round with my QNAP TS-453Be becoming unavailable to me via Qfinder or direct access via IP.

I can find the NAS in my router client list where it has an IP addres. I can't ping it from the router or from my Mac.I can't find it in Qfinder, though its MAC address is shown in the remote wakeup menu choice.

I had this happen once before, as I recall, and I finally had to rebuild the entire NAS to get access to it--had to do a full reset. It was a pain.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to do would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: QNAP TS-453Be-2G can't ping, in router client list...

Post by dosborne »

Check the admin console to see if you have whitelisted/blacklisted IP addresses etc. Are you running a firewall on your NAS?

Check the logs to see if you were locked out or other indications such as network connectivity issues.
How are you connecting? Through a switch? Is it a managed switch? More on network topology required.

What firmware are you running?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
nebti5
New here

Post by nebti5 »

Thank you very much for your help. I have this directly attached to a new three-router Deco mesh unit. It's attached to the main unit. I have an unmanaged switch attached to the router and the NAS was initially attached to that, but I removed it from the switch and attached it directly to the router without effect.

Unfortunately, though I've tried in a variety of ways I can't gain access to the NAS at all, not even the login page. I've tried directly via its IP address in my Mac (the router recignizes that it is attached and assigns it an IP address which I use). I've tried from my phone and from a Windows desktop, likewise to no avail. I"ve tried pinging from the router and from my Mac with no answer. I've tried my Android Qnap management app and it doesn't find the NAS, nor does Qfinder on my Mac. Yet I have a Synology attached to the unmanaged switch that is working fine. I don't think the issue is the new router. It did this once under the old router as well...

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what firmware I'm running because I can't get into the NAS to find out. It was updated last about four months ago, but what version that was I can't say.

Thank you for any ideas.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Personally, I don't bother with or see any value in the Q* (QFinder) apps and always just use the IP address for connectivity.

It sounds like the 3-second reset is your next option, followed by the 10-second reset if that doesn't work. One of these should get you back to at least a basic connectivity.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... -explained

A mesh setup is not uncommon to mess around with connectivity, although obviously, should work, but may require some manual configuration. For this, and many other, reasons, I strongly suggest using a static IP address for your NAS (and any "server" device) **AS WELL AS** setting a IP reservation in your DHCP server. This way, there are no surprises as to how to connect to your NAS, it is always the same IP address.

As for the firmware version, I suggest you take control of it. Disable all the auto update options (they can lead to nasty surprises) and download and save the firmware files (on a system other than your NAS for obvious reasons) so that YOU are in control of the firmware and can move forward / backwards when and if you decide to.

Connecting direct to the router and/or unmanaged switch should not be an issue, but you did say the router was new, so it *could* have an impact (vlans, firewall, mesh, etc). Although how your client connects could also have an impact (for the same reason, vlan, guest network, firewall, etc).

If the resets don't work, QNAP support may be your next option.
Last edited by dosborne on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebti5
New here

Post by nebti5 »

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated. I will try the three second reset, then if that fails, the ten...
nebti5
New here

Post by nebti5 »

Thanks. The three-second reset did it. Appreciate the help.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

nebti5 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:59 am Thanks. The three-second reset did it. Appreciate the help.
Excellent. it is often easily overlooked and not an obvious option available to you. Glad it worked out.
nebti5
New here

Post by nebti5 »

I appreciate your help, and the additional advice about the firmware updates. Your willingness to help is a boon to many, I'm sure, and greatly appreciated here.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”