Massive firmware update failure

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
willoneal
New here

Massive firmware update failure

Post by willoneal »

I manage an 8-bay device. The customer was having difficulty with an SMB share, so we logged in and attempted some fixes - like removing and re-adding the workgroup.

During this time, the internet was very spotty.

Shortly thereafter (5 minutes or so, after the internet allowed access again), the admin password no longer worked. I went on-site and had to do the soft reset in order to re-gain access to the device (password was reset to the MAC address).

After logging back in, the device prompted me for a firmware upgrade. I ran that upgrade, and after logging in the 2nd time (after the firmware upgrade), the device asked if I want to preserve the data, or erase it and start fresh. Of course, I carefully selected to preserve the data.

After the initialization, I logged in, and NO VOLUMES were present. All data appears to be gone.

Is my quest for 41 TBs of data gone forever? (I have backups of 39TB, but those missing 2 TBs are all accounting files that for some as yet discovered reason are not in the backup.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Massive firmware update failure

Post by dosborne »

First step should be to log an issue with QNAP support.

Second step, there are a few similar threads that using the search should turn up. (example viewtopic.php?f=45&t=167355)

It is an unfortunate way to find the backups are not complete. At least most of it isn't lost. I hope you find the data, and fix the backup issue.

I hope you are aware of the recent ransomware attacks and that your remote access is through a VPN connection and not UPnP or forwarded ports to the admin console. Please see the Deadbolt thread as a warning/example of what could go wrong (should you not already be aware).
Last edited by dosborne on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Can you see if there is a "recovery" in the storage and snapshots?
Pool_recover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willoneal
New here

Post by willoneal »

I called support and they got me through this. Some disk corruption, but so far no data loss.

The device is not accessible publicly.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”