Disk 90% full after Snapshot restore

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Pyro2577
New here

Disk 90% full after Snapshot restore

Post by Pyro2577 »

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to sort this out and have searched high and low looking for the answers over the last 4 days.

I had/have 3.7TB of Data before restore, now i have 7.23TB after.

I accidentily deleted 1.4TB of data and when i went into the snapshot manager found the last snapshot and set the motions for the restore of that folder back.
12hrs later I came back to see if it had completed and it said 86% complete. I left it for another 15mins and when i looked back it was at 80% complete, another 15mins 82%, another 15mins 80%. However I started to notice that the drive space was filling up. I couldn't stop the restore so I pressed reboot and it shutdown and rebooted. I went into the folder that was supposed to have been 80% restored and only the folders were there but no files. I Managed to get the files from my desktop and began the slow upload back to the Qnap.
After everything was put back on the Qnap251B I noticed it keeps saying 90% full. I tried deleting all the snapshots and turning it off and nothing seems to reclaim the space. I have attached a picture to show that there is only 3.8TB on the drive but the volume is being told it is 90% full.

I have tried to make the drive thick and that just made it 8TB thick and still 90%.

I know I have either missed something or ** up somewhere I'm sorry for my ignorance as I'm not super familiar with the Volume/Pool thing. I was following the recommended thin configuration from Qnap saying it was best for snapshots.
Screenshot 2022-08-14 201942.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disk 90% full after Snapshot restore

Post by dolbyman »

Try to check if there is any files on the volume that are not on a share (use ssh or winscp)
Pyro2577
New here

Post by Pyro2577 »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm Try to check if there is any files on the volume that are not on a share (use ssh or winscp)
I will have a look again but I didn't see anything unusual when i went in using winscp.
In Qnap one of the storage/disk pages I can't remember where i saw it but it had a line with Snapshot (15%) Data was 3.6TB and it had other as another 3.6TB. It was the other I have been trying to find. The "other" is what I have been trying to find so I can Delete it.

Edit: I found the page but now the Volume/LUN is showing 76% the sharp storage pool rise in the graph is when the Snapshot was being restored. It just looks like it has copied everything back twice but i can't see duplicates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pyro2577
New here

Post by Pyro2577 »

OK I think I found it, for anyone else this might help.

I went into winscp show hidden files. Found .@snapshot folder hidden in CACHEDEV1_DATA folder. inside the .@snapshot folder there was a backup.10002 folder and inside that was 3.46TB copy of all my files. I have deleted that complete fodler and when I went into the Storage & Snapshot, action, free up some space and reclaim 3.46TB was available.

I have no idea what that hidden snapshot backup folder is/was for but it's gone and I have my hard drive space back.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”