Converting from RAID1 to RAID0

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
paulrobbo
Starting out

Converting from RAID1 to RAID0

Post by paulrobbo »

I'm considering switching from Raid 1 to Raid 0 as well. It's NOT stupid to do so when I realised everything on my liddle 2-bay NAS is actually already backed up elsewhere anyway, so why should I restrict my storage capacity to half of what I paid for? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not getting the best bang for the NAS terabytes buck so Raid 0 is a means to get what I want, not a dead end, and I can do so safely. And since my NAS isn't exposed to the internet, I should be relatively safe from external malware also (but I do have an active McCafee AV subscription also) (I use an OpenVPN server and Dynamic DNS on my router to get to the NAS from outside). I even turned off Storage Pools Snapshot reservation since that was also just a waste of space for my simple needs.

If I lose data in the NAS, I can always restore it from external or public cloud storage. If it takes me a few hours to restore data... well mine's a home NAS, not a commercial/business dependent system, so the only person slightly inconvenienced is me. No bosses or customers or karens will be put out in the process.

So getting back to the original request, is there a way to get back to Raid 0 from Raid 1 in QNAP without having to do a full system factory reset? I don't care about data loss since I can restore it, but reconfiguring the core system is a pain.

TIA.
paulrobbo
NAS: TS-253D, Expansion: TR-002, UPS: APC BX 1600MI-AZ (USB)
Network: TP-Link Archer AX55 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Re: Converting from RAID1 to RAID0

Post by dolbyman »

split and locked from original topic

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99020

- Necroposting ( 8 years)
- Different device class (Cat1 vs Cat2)

On Cat2 ..just remove the volume/pool and start a new volume/pool.. no need to start from scratch (see manual for details)
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Even if used "only" at home I would never use raid0! If a disks fails, data is lost and needs to be restored.
Why not using 2 single disks instead? Capacity is the same as raid0, but if a disks fails, only data of that disk is lost.
I do not see any advantage using raid0 compared to single disks in a QNAP. And I dont believe, that you will benefit from a higher raid0 speed in daily life. :wink:

Regards
paulrobbo
Starting out

Post by paulrobbo »

FSC830 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:36 pm Why not using 2 single disks instead? Capacity is the same as raid0, but if a disks fails, only data of that disk is lost.
Regards
Thanks for the response, but I don't think so. From what I've read, other than RAID 1, there's either RAID 0 or JBOD available to me to use the two (6TB each) NAS HDDs together. Raid 0 is faster because it can write to both disks simultaneously so I went for that. OTOH, JBOD fills one disk and doesn't use the other until the first disk is full. In both cases, failure of any one disk takes out the DAS system.

If I set the Mode to Individual I would probably see two separate HDD letters in my Windows system, which doesn't take advantage of the speed capabilities of RAID 0 of of the striping capabilities of RAID 0 and JBOD, so the only thing the DAS would save me is one USB port on the PC. And Murphy's Law (I'm a firm believer in this) says if anything can go wrong it will, and at the worst possible moment, so even in Individual mode murphy says the file I need will be on the drive that's gone bad.

The QNAP management software looks at the SMART status every 5 minutes, and tells me if there's a problem with the drives. So long as I don't ignore that, it should be good. Screen snip attached to give you an idea. As you can seen I've now converted it to Raid 0, and it needed to be partitioned and reformatted (I used exFAT this time) and I'm now restoring my data to the system.
2022-08-18_16-59-22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulrobbo
NAS: TS-253D, Expansion: TR-002, UPS: APC BX 1600MI-AZ (USB)
Network: TP-Link Archer AX55 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Post by dolbyman »

If this post is about a TR unit and not a NAS. then there is no config to save...I don't understand what this thread is about..it's just a block storage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”