QNAP TVS-H11688x deleted folder no snapshot

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
johntu
First post

QNAP TVS-H11688x deleted folder no snapshot

Post by johntu »

a client has a QNAP TVS-1688x server with 4@2TB Samsung SSD's, and 12 x 14TB hard disks with a RAIDZ2 152TB pool. the pool had approx. 4tb of data, 2tb was deleted accidentally and they had no snapshot. They restored their recyclebin(their words) but most data did not come back.

Not familiar with this QNAP, i have attempted review of the 12 x 14tb disks using external docking stations, usb hub and fans for cooling(yikes)
i used UBUNTU 22, with LVM, MDADM adn ZFSutils installed, could see and mount the EXT3 partitions, but no RAIDZ2 identified
so i attempted WIN 10, with R-studio, but it does not do ZFS or RAIDZ2, then i tried ReClaim Pro, which sees the RAIDZ2 pool of 152TB and starts to scan and and discovers files, but is slow due to huge size and crashed unless i set disk access delay to 3sec(usb docking station issues), and discovered files did not work
soooo..tried klennet, it starts by trying the raid configuration first, very slow, still waiting......then i tried UFS explorer, it found the raidz2 pool immediately and started to scan, slow, again due to size, but you cant stop it early to view what was discovered, so i would have to wait a month or so...

Now, i now know that the QNAp can have linux installed, so would installing Linux give me the ability to find orphaned files and folders in the pool ......or....is there an ability QNAP, ZFS has that i am not aware of, that can restore the deleted folder ?

thank you in advance
Last edited by dolbyman on Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: there vs their
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TVS-H11688x deleted folder no snapshot

Post by dolbyman »

They are probably looking at a slow and/or expensive recovery...check with data recovery experts if there is faster ways

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”