653D inaccessible

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DaveM
Starting out

653D inaccessible

Post by DaveM »

I’ve logged a support ticket for this too but wondering if anyone has any ideas in the interim.

My NAS box went offline around 4am this morning based on logs from containers running on it.
It acts as my DHCP server and a container does DNS so nothing was working on my home network. Pinging the NAS returned nothing but other static IPs on my network were fine including devices connected to the same switch as the NAS.
NAS lights showed status light as green, Network as connected and 2 of the 6 drives lit. Those two drives are the pair of system drives.

The NAS would not respond to either a short press (1.5 seconds ) or long press (over 5) on the power button. I proceeded to power off the NAS and restarted it. From the HDMI interface connected I could see it it boot a couple of cycles before starting up properly.
When the device was once again pingable I connected to the web interfaces and could see services starting and one of the RAID groups syncronizing. Container station started successfully but around the time QVRPro started the device suddenly went unresponsive again and was no longer pingable. Observation showed the LEDs back in the state that it was in before I restarted.
None of the other drive lights appear to be flashing. So once more the device is unreachable on the network but I'm not sure if it may be doing something under the hood that will resolved itself with time.

Any ideas?
Last edited by DaveM on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveM
Starting out

Re: 653D inaccessible

Post by DaveM »

I have a raid pair of 8TB seagate NAS drives where most things live, a smaller raid 5 group of 4TB drives for three of them and finally a single wd purple for qvrpro.

In the short time the nas was online the disks all seemed to be online and bar the sync running seemed ok.

If there is a failure it’s where I go from here is the next question. I wouldn’t expect a failed drive to take the network down while leaving the system status green ?
Last edited by DaveM on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

May be another device for the Intel clock bug?

See viewtopic.php?t=157459

Regards
DaveM
Starting out

Post by DaveM »

So having got this back up for a couple of months with no issues through a couple of reboots and upgrades it failed after restarting post the latest update during the media plug in service start.

Very similar behaviour, system goes offline, no ping or HDMI signal and the two drives flashing away.

Something that was wrong with my original post is the 2 drives that were flashing are the pair of Raid-1 system drives. I have rebooted once and got it back up only for it to fail again during the services start - second time during myQNAPcloud Link start.

Previously the only thing QNAP came up with was to run a memory test using a bootable USB and removing all drives while I did it. After that they kinda wiped their hands of it but by then it had restarted properly although the system volume did need resyncing. A full barrage of SMART tests and the like on the drives suggested no hint of any issues then or previously however. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
DaveM
Starting out

Post by DaveM »

Latest update as I'm hoping someone might know while I wait for a QNAP response - this is largely cribbed from the support ticket I've raised.

The 2 drive lights lit are the 2 8TB Seagate Ironwolf drives in a Raid 1 configuration that make up the system drive.
No ping or anything from QNAP finder on the network. The HDMI output shows nothing and there is no life on the attached keyboard. The Status light is green, the LAN light orange and the only other lights lit are the Drives 5 and 6 lights (solid green). These two drives make up the system partition.

No response from the power button at all so I powered the NAS off and turned it back on. This went through a process of lighting the drive LEDs in sequence but beeping when getting to 5 and 6 twice and rebooting itself before starting the NAS. The first time the NAS booted to the OS but during the startup of services it went down again to the same state. A second attempt booted the NAS and the system volume was doing a raid sync.

During this time everything was running fine. However as soon as the sync completed about 15 hours later the system went offline again and back to the same state as the picture.

I suspect maybe one of the two drives is at fault (although a smart test reported no errors). Can you suggest where to go from here, I am not sure if I can try booting the NAS with one of the two drives in to see what happens without risking data loss.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

If you are using Raid1 you can use only one disk for booting.
If NAS boots, raid is degraded, but should be accessible (if NAS is not powering off again).
But if you once "spilt" the raid1, you must not power off, swap the disks (using the other raid1 disk for checking) and power on. If you do this, the raid is out of sync!

Insert the missing disk first and wait until recover is done, then you can power off, remove the first disk and check, if NAS boots with the single second disk.
Insert the missing disk and wait again until rebuild is done.

But if there is any other issue causing the shutdown you will not really pinpoint the root cause.
As an workaround: when NAS is powered off, remove all disks, inseet one or two "old" disks and install NAS from scratch.
If NAS behaves as before, it is most likely inside the NAS (PSU, motherboard, ...) but not the disks.

Regards
DaveM
Starting out

Post by DaveM »

Following instructions provided by QNAP I took out the disks and booted to a place that was accessible by qfinder.

Being sat in this state once again caused the system to hang (loss of display etc). I rebooted and this time tried the memory test tool advised by qnap and that also caused the hang (no errors in the memory displayed when it went off).

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”