QNAP TS-453B unable to remove SSD cache

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mjpmotw
Starting out

QNAP TS-453B unable to remove SSD cache

Post by mjpmotw »

Runing a QNAP TS-453B, 4x6TB with a expansion card with 2xM2-SDD defined as SSD caching - suddenly completely stops working. Like a headshot. Ping-Loss. Gone. Completely inaccessible.
All start-stop-reboot isn't working, the NAS flickers and simply shows "Booting..." and nothing else. As long as disks are present, the NAS will not even ping.

Removing all disks, the NAS boots. I should have re-inserted all disks after the NAS bootet without them, but was afraid to destroy my Raid5. So I removed the SSD-expansion-card and did a firmware recovery (Rufus, Clonezilla, dom.img and manual firmware update from Qfinder). So far so good, the NAS appears in Qfinder pro!

Now the NAS sees all disks and requires a 14h sync job and reports that 1 of 4 HDD has some errors and I should replace it. The problem is that it's not mounting my data-volume, telling me that the SSD-cache is offline.

All GUI actions to disable the SSD Cache, to flush it, to destroy it, fail:
Error 2022-09-27 17:19:42 --- --- Web Desktop Storage & Snapshots Cache Acceleration [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to remove SSD cache.
Error 2022-09-27 17:20:03 --- --- Web Desktop Storage & Snapshots Cache Acceleration [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to disable SSD cache on SSD " EXDR#23 Drive: 1 2". RAID type: RAID1, Cache type: Read-only.

So I am in a weird loop of having a Raid5 volume that won't mount as it requires a SSD-Cache that I don't have anymore. Any ideas?

PS: That sudden loss of all connectivity was really weird. All disks were solid green, got a UPS, get all notifications by mobile and mail configured but the NAS simply died on me.
NAS: TVS-672X Intel i3 with 8GB RAM
System: 2 x 256GB Kingston M2 SSD (Raid1)
Data: 6 x 8TB Western Digital (Raid5)
External Storage: TR-004 with 4 x 14TB Seagate (Raid5)
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: QNAP TS-453B unable to remove SSD cache

Post by FSC830 »

If the SSD cache is removed the (cached) volume will not be accessible!
We have seen this here a couple of times.

Regards
mjpmotw
Starting out

Post by mjpmotw »

Yes I understand that and this is my problem. The question is how can we fix this, if the SSD-volume is dead?
Barungar
Starting out

Post by Barungar »

To fix it, recreate raid volume and restore backup.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Or install the SSD expansion card and SSD again... :wink:

Regards
mjpmotw
Starting out

Post by mjpmotw »

Thank you, guys, of course I can recreate the main data volume, but it feels bad to have to recreate a full raid 5 volume with 15TB because a simple read-only-volume fails and can't be removed...that's not what I expect from QNAP OS.
Barungar
Starting out

Post by Barungar »

Yeah, well expectations are nice. Your's especially.
But QNAPs implementation is simply no read cache, no volume.
So enabling (read) cache in QTS add a reduced level of realiability to your volumes.
mjpmotw
Starting out

Post by mjpmotw »

Maybe to clarify again: There is a Raid5 on 4 x regular harddisks and there is a Raid1 on 2 x M2-SSD on an expansion card. Even the QNAP OS tells me to "remove" or "delete" the Cache volume. That I would willingly do. But it's not possible. It's a loop.
Yes, I expect that the failure of the expansion card will NOT destroy my whole data volume on a separate physical raid and forces me to reset my entire system.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

May be a misunderstanding: In post #1 you wrote you have removed the SSD-expansion card with the SSDs used for cache.
In following text I cant see any hint that you reinstalled this card again.
So without the card the cached volume cant be removed, thats a mistake by design from QNAP (my 2 cents).
If you reinserted the card and volume cant be removed, then its a bug in QTS and I would complain again at support.

So what is the current hardware status, is the expansion card in NAS or not?

Regards
mjpmotw
Starting out

Post by mjpmotw »

FSC830 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:32 pm So without the card the cached volume cant be removed, thats a mistake by design from QNAP (my 2 cents).
If you reinserted the card and volume cant be removed, then its a bug in QTS and I would complain again at support.
Without SSD expansion card, the NAS boots but no HDD Raid5 data accessible. I added the SSD expansion card (JUST NOW) , the HDD volume is back online.
But what would have happened if the SSD expansion card were broken? As the GUI then won't let you disable or remove that "physicall removed" volume, preventing access to my OTHER volume.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

As said before: this is QNAPs implementation of the read cache!
In current QTS one reason NOT to use read cache.

Complain at QNAP support for this foolish behavior (or bug!??).
If a sufficient amount of users complaining they may change this.

Regards
mjpmotw
Starting out

Post by mjpmotw »

I am in contact with QNAP Support. I had wished for a simple shell command to disable/remove the faulty expansion card volume (or to confirm the removal of the expansion card with a volume)....
hockeyrink
New here

Post by hockeyrink »

Did you have any progress?

I am in exactly the same boat, but with a 3-disk RAID 5 and Evo 870 as cache on my TS-453 Pro. I've had the 1st-level support try to fix it through team-viewer, but no-go. Escalated to next tier (with the helpdesk remote support), but after 7 days the cert expired with no action, and it's failing a fresh cert due to "Failed to create a private key" error. :evil:

I've got a similar unit that hosts the offsite backup (TS-451D2). I'm wondering if I can move the 3 RAID-5 drives over to that, re-enable the thick volume and re-home back to the TS-453 Pro without cache drive. I'm presently running off a VM mirror server (yay for multiple backups), but really would rather just recover the source dataset and sync changes.

Edit: Just realized the "sticky" on the main page for reading the RAID-5 via UBUNTU. I'm tempted... or do I wait longer for QNAP to see/address my ticket. Sigh...
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

hockeyrink wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:16 am ...
I'm wondering if I can move the 3 RAID-5 drives over to that, re-enable the thick volume and re-home back to the TS-453 Pro without cache drive.
Cache my guess it will not work. To many users reported this issue.

Regards

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”