Selling NAS w/ drives

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tribunal3117
Getting the hang of things

Selling NAS w/ drives

Post by tribunal3117 »

I'm planning on selling my old NAS and the disks that have been in there. Typically before I get rid of old HDDs, whether to the dumpster or friends/family, I will run a disk scrubbing utility on the devices to make sure that any sensitive data is unrecoverable. Do I need to go to such length with data that's been part of a RAID5 array, or will just reshuffling the disks and reformatting the array be sufficient, given the data is already fragmented?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Selling NAS w/ drives

Post by dolbyman »

make sure you scrub the disks thoroughly...
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Any step you take reduces the chance of their success. Re-ordering the drives probably would not make any difference.

In most general cases, putting the drives into a USB dock and removing the partitions, then returning the drives to the NAS and formatting them would usually be enough to stop the average curious person making simple attempts to recover any data. This is simple to do and ensures a clean setup for the next user of the NAS (reset the NAS to default settings too).

Unless *ALL* the disks are scrubbed (with a secure erase tool) there is always a chance that if someone was really motivated, they could potentially recover some fragments or full files. It all defends on how dedicated they were to doing so.

It all depends on the sensitivity of your data and ultimately is your decision to make.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
tribunal3117
Getting the hang of things

Post by tribunal3117 »

Good to know. I'll run them through DBAN.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

pull drives out, then insert to desktop pc and run something like killdisk to thoroughly wipe the drives before u sell them
https://www.killdisk.com/eraser.html

obviously backup whatever important before doing any of that.'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”