TS-653B No Access at all!

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
MrImpulsive
New here

TS-653B No Access at all!

Post by MrImpulsive »

Good day folks,

Just joined today to see if I can get advice please.
I have both my NAS Drive and Apple Mac plugged into a UDM Pro Switch.
I can't access the NAS Drive recently even by typing in its IP Address and noe of the QNAP Software can access it.

I can't get it to reboot and the Status Light is slow Blinking Red which according to the Manual is the Fan(s) are not working.
Is this fixable and how?

Many thanks

Douglas
borut
Starting out

Re: TS-653B No Access at all!

Post by borut »

I have my TS-653B in the LAN and today realized that it is not visible in the network anymore - I was not able to access any drive on it. I found it to be quiet (apparently neither fans, nor drives spinning), with nothing on its display and no LEDs on, apart of the status LED, which was green (sic!). As I tried to switch it off and on, the status LED started blinking red and does that ever since. I am now out of ideas. This came out of the blue. I do not think that it is connected to any firmware upgrade, because I am starting upgrades explicitly. Any ideas anyone?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Apollo Lake is supposed to not be impacted by the LPC issue

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel ... 40378.html

you could try and see if it helps though (forum search)
borut
Starting out

Post by borut »

Thank you. For those potentially interested, here the further development: The TS-653B was far beyond the guarantee period. Qnap offered repair/substitution (unspecified) for 400$ and with a six months guarantee. For me that was not acceptable. 1:1 migration of 6x2.5" disks (RAID 6) from nonfunctional TS-653B to a new TS-873A succeeded smoothly. (On the new TS-873A stayed with the factory installed QTS 5.0.0.2131 2022-08-19 - i.e. after consulting the forum decided not to experiment with newer versions). That's it.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

borut wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:15 am Thank you. For those potentially interested, here the further development: The TS-653B was far beyond the guarantee period. Qnap offered repair/substitution (unspecified) for 400$ and with a six months guarantee. For me that was not acceptable. 1:1 migration of 6x2.5" disks (RAID 6) from nonfunctional TS-653B to a new TS-873A succeeded smoothly. (On the new TS-873A stayed with the factory installed QTS 5.0.0.2131 2022-08-19 - i.e. after consulting the forum decided not to experiment with newer versions). That's it.
did we ever find out what caused the issue on the 653b though?

you said it can't be powered on ya?

is this possibly a psu issue or something?

Last time i had a tech issue, i brought it in to a local tech repair shop (you know the ones that will fix your pc). So i asked those guys to take a look. but QNAP says if u do such things, that disqualifies your warranty. But you said your warranty is already expired, so what do you have to lose.

The problem is, if it's a hardware issue, not sure u can source the parts yourself, or have to buy the part from QNAP. QNAP does stock components for the models so they might be in their online shop :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
borut
Starting out

Post by borut »

Agreed. The local tech repair shop is indeed still an option for me. Although, I have in the meantime opened the box myself and in my view, the accessibility of the MB in TS-653B is disastrous.

I do not think that it is a PSU issue, since the red LED is blinking (and not so without the power). If it turns out that it is the LPC issue, which I still strongly believe, then what? The resistor solution only prolongs the death. Does Intel produce redesigned compatible Celerons at all? Are they available? Can the processor be replaced at all (socket?)? Huh...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Newer revisions of the CPU and the NAS are apparently fixed (there was a thread about it last week)

Unless you have access to a cheap way to replace BGA equipment, probably more expensive to replace the CPU than to buy a new NAS

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”