Expand Storage option missing on HS-251+/RAID 1 ?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Vikingen
New here

Expand Storage option missing on HS-251+/RAID 1 ?

Post by Vikingen »

Hi,
I've had a HS-251+ NAS for quite many years, used with two WD-4TB drives in RAID 1, and for Black Friday I got a set of 8TB replacement drives.

I followed the "Replace Disks One by One" procedure, let the volume rebuild, and now I correctly have the two drives showing their 7.x TB capacity, and the RAID group is still at 3.x TB capacity.

Based on what I searched, I expected to have a "Expand" button appear somewhere on the management UI, but could not find any, and the Action to expand the size seems to only allow adding drives, which obviously is not doable on the HS-251+ since it only supports two drives.

Technically I could copy back all the data, reformat, etc... but if there's a way to expand the existing RAID from 4 to 8 TB to use the available space, that would be significantly less of a hassle (plus less risky since I would not lose the backup for the duration of the operation).

Am I missing something, or is it simply not doable on my device?
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Expand Storage option missing on HS-251+/RAID 1 ?

Post by FSC830 »

Use again the "replace disks one-by-one" option.
Now you should see an "Expand" button/option. This will expand the pool/raidgroup, afterwards you can expand the volume.

Regards
Vikingen
New here

Post by Vikingen »

Oh, thanks a lot!
This option is not at all where I was expecting it to be, did not think of going in the "replace disk" again.

It's currently working on expanding the storage, here is a screenshot in case other people are wondering where that option is.
image_2022-11-30_183125091.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

We have the same topic every two weeks or so .. there should be plenty of threads to find .. *wink wink*

I do agree though that this is VERY well hidden and not at all intuitive
Vikingen
New here

Post by Vikingen »

I did search, but I probably did not use the right search terms.
I do have a phpbb forum myself, I can't even find stuff on my own forum most of the time.

EDIT: Maybe add an obvious entry in the Getting Started / Frequently Asked Questions section of the forum?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”