TS-453A - Drive completely failed. RAID 5 wont rebuild

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
LeekSausage
First post

TS-453A - Drive completely failed. RAID 5 wont rebuild

Post by LeekSausage »

Hi All,

Feel i'm on the brink of a heart attack from the stress of this.

The other evening we had a power cut. On getting power back, one of my drives seemed completely dead (not showing in disks and making that horrid scratching sound internally), another was showing a warning as an I/O read issue. I ordered a new drive and did a bad block scan on the one showing an I/O error. 12 hours later, I/O error cleared, no SMART issues now showing on 3 drives.

Storage pool unable to load though...

Have replaced the faulty drive as per instructions on the QNAP site but doesn't come up as 'rebuilding'. There isn't the option to 'set as enclosure space' as per the online guide.
Replacement disk is exactly the same size and brand (6tb WD Red) as the others and has come from a reputable dealer. I have replaced a faulty drive in the past with no issues (went straight to rebuilding on insert).

When i try to rebuild the RAID is just states: "Failed to recover the storage pool".

The new disk is showing in the NAS as a purple colour (Used type: Free).

Where do i go from here?

Firmware: 5.0.1.2194
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Re: TS-453A - Drive completely failed. RAID 5 wont rebuild

Post by Gaudi »

Please specify the exact model of the drive. WD is known to market WD Reds with SMR technology as suitable for RAID, but they are not.
This may be the cause for rebuild failure.

Or some other problem caused by TWO drives failing in a RAID5.

In any case contact QNAP via a ticket.

Worst case scenario, start from scratch and restore from backups.

Regards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If someone is on the brink of heart attack..you know there is no backups involved

Sadly a story of dataloss or double bypasss when the quote from the data rescue company comes in

PS NAS do not like sudden powercuts..always use a UPS
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

LeekSausage wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:13 pm Hi All,

Feel i'm on the brink of a heart attack from the stress of this.

The other evening we had a power cut. On getting power back, one of my drives seemed completely dead (not showing in disks and making that horrid scratching sound internally), another was showing a warning as an I/O read issue. I ordered a new drive and did a bad block scan on the one showing an I/O error. 12 hours later, I/O error cleared, no SMART issues now showing on 3 drives.

Storage pool unable to load though...

Have replaced the faulty drive as per instructions on the QNAP site but doesn't come up as 'rebuilding'. There isn't the option to 'set as enclosure space' as per the online guide.

Replacement disk is exactly the same size and brand (6tb WD Red) as the others and has come from a reputable dealer. I have replaced a faulty drive in the past with no issues (went straight to rebuilding on insert).

When i try to rebuild the RAID is just states: "Failed to recover the storage pool".

The new disk is showing in the NAS as a purple colour (Used type: Free).

Where do i go from here?

Firmware: 5.0.1.2194

1. raid is not a backup. the raid rebuild i've done many over the past 10 years+ for 4tb x 4 drives in raid5 and they all rebuilt just fine. but this is no guarantee, and which is why i also had backups at all times just in case.

plz read this and be aquainted with why you should have a backup plan :(
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

2. depending on how critical your data is, you may need to pay for a very expensive data recovery service (and i'm not even sure they can recover 100%). but like linus says, you wouldn't have needed that had you just had a backup plan :'
https://youtu.be/eyr14_B230o?t=1345

3. stress free = having a backup plan. not having a backup plan and the sky comes crashing over your head = stress. drives do die eventually; raid rebuilds aren't a 100% affair; user mistakes do happen by accident; and many other situations where you would require a backup for recovery. so hope that is crystal clear going forward that next time plz invest in a backup plan, especially if your data is important to you :shock:

Gaudi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:26 pm Please specify the exact model of the drive. WD is known to market WD Reds with SMR technology as suitable for RAID, but they are not.
This may be the cause for rebuild failure.

Or some other problem caused by TWO drives failing in a RAID5.

In any case contact QNAP via a ticket.

Worst case scenario, start from scratch and restore from backups.

Regards
Depends. the WD had 2 reds one was smr and the other wasn't (i know because i have these. these models were the ones BEFORE they quietly released the smr wd red models :S ) and this was before they came out with WD red PLUS (which is defnitely not smr).

But going forward if he insists on wd, make sure it's the WD red PLUS.

And uh... seems clear he doesn't have backup based on his panic mode :shock: If something similar had happened to me, i'd only spend a day doing the recovery from my backup, no big deal just a slight nuisance.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”