Non Raid Rolling Backups and Drive Replacement

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
thatonedude
New here

Non Raid Rolling Backups and Drive Replacement

Post by thatonedude »

I have a TS-673A that I am setting up with a primary SSD and five tertiary HDDs. Live files to come from the SSD and 1 day, 3 day, 1 week, 2 week, and 1 month backups to be on the HDDs. This part of the setup is non-negotiable. I am planning on using HBS in sync mode to make sure the data is replicated.

I am assuming that it would be best to have all drives be their own static volume, and not a volume in a storage pool. Please correct me if I am wrong. Or should each volume be in it's own storage pool as well? Or should it be one large storage pool with several volumes inside of it? I'm so confused...

If I have a bunch of mapped drives on the primary and it fails, what is the procedure to quickly get back up and running? Do I replace the drive, make new shares, and sync the information back? Can I just swap one the HDDs into the primary slot until a replacement arrives? Is it software side switch that I'm unaware of?

Input appreciated.
Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Non Raid Rolling Backups and Drive Replacement

Post by dolbyman »

Dont forget external backups..as internal backups will be not accessible on NAS failure (special QNAP version of LVM)

Also you will lose all apps if your primary/system volume fails, so be prepared for that as well..single drive setups are a primary source of "joy" in this forum. But some people just have stubborn ways of setting themselves up for trouble.
thatonedude
New here

Post by thatonedude »

Thanks dolbyman. I have three separate alternate QNAPs that I make more backups to as well so I think I have that covered.

I'm really just trying to find a way to keep the live files as accessible as possible in the event of a drive failure or security intrusion.

If my main live files go down and I have 10 shared folders on it, what is the fastest way to get it back up and running? I could just swap the IP from one of my backup NAS but I was trying to find a solution from within the single main NAS as well.

Appreciate it.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Drive failure downtime prevention is mainly done via RAID (but you seem averted to this). With RAID you would just swap the faulty disk and while the rebuild is running everything would still be accessible.

Anyways with single disks, you would have to take out the faulty disk, place a new one in the NAS, recreate the shares and restore from backups (local internal drive, external drive,network drive, cloud)

In terms of security intrusion, make sure that no NAS (especially QNAP) is never ever exposed to WAN (malware is rampant)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”