used add drive to add disk to raid 5 with static volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tjedneak
New here

used add drive to add disk to raid 5 with static volume

Post by tjedneak »

i have a ts-653d qnas
i had 4 drives 3.65tb in raid 5 static volume
i used add disk to add 1 3.65 drive to the raid and it completed but it didnt add the space to the volume so now i have 10.69tb on the volume and 14.52tb on the raid is there any way to add the extra to the volume or did i mess up by not using expand volume to add the disk???
dolbyman
Guru

Re: used add drive to add disk to raid 5 with static volume

Post by dolbyman »

any screenshots of the volume info screens?
tjedneak
New here

Post by tjedneak »

Screenshot_20221203_113452.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The raid has the correct capacity..the volume does not, I have never used static volumes, but check if expanding the volume is present in these options (screenshots) manage/actions
tjedneak
New here

Post by tjedneak »

its not i think i have found it. i will need to redo my volume. if i would have used expand volume to add the disk it wouldnt have been a problem but since its a static volume i cant change it now that the drive is add to the raid. I think this time ill set it up as a thick as this is just a plex server and thats it. Thick vs static isnt much loss when streaming. im going to just reset the hole nas and put the system volume on ssd raid 1 2x1tb ssd static (cant see needing more then 1tb for system) and do a second volume raid 5 with 6 drives on a thick volume so i dont have this problem again.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”