Disk replacement on TS-412

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
byxil
New here

Disk replacement on TS-412

Post by byxil »

Hi, I'm asking for help on how to replace a disk that is starting to give me problems.
I have a TS-412 with 4 disks, in slots 1 and 2, I have 2 disks of 3Tb with a volume of 6Tb.
In slots 3 and 4 I have two 4Tb drives with a 4Tb RAID volume

The disk that is giving me problems is in slot 1, I buyed 2 6Tb disks to replace those in the first two slots.
How can I go about copying the data to one of the disks?
Maybe there is a hot-swap option that asks me to remove the drives from slots 3 and 4 and insert the new ones to copy the data?
Thanks for the replies
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disk replacement on TS-412

Post by dolbyman »

Would have been all no problem is you had setup a 4 disk raid of 4 equal size drives(5,6,10)

if these disks are setup as single disks, you need to testore from external backups (ALWAYS have backups)..if the 2 3TB disks makeup 6TB, it's also either spanning JBOD or RAID0 so full dataloss on single drive failure

If this was the system volume, you will also lose all apps and programs installed
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gaudi »

You can use one of your new drives with an external USB enclosure to copy ALL of your data from disks 1 and 2.
You then remove those disks, and and the remaining disk as single disk.
Copy back the information to that drive, and then initialize the external drive, add it to the NAS and migrate the single drive to create a RAID1 array.
If this is what you plan to do.

All these operations pose a risk of failure, so as recommended, you should have a spare backup of your data.

Regards
byxil
New here

Post by byxil »

I have an esata cable and I was thinking of transferring the contents of disks 1 and 2 to the 6Tb one. Better the eSata connection than the USB one, right?

I don't know how to format the new disk and I don't know how to transfer the system, because I understand that if I disconnect disks 1 and 2 the operating system configurations are lost.
Also I have a MySql db used with Kodi inside the NAS (only db on the nas), how do I save it on the new disk?

Thanks for your help
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you cannot format the drives for internal use..so external formatted disks would be for external use

you would need to dump the db via a tool like phpMyAdmin (as said..you should have planned for all of this long before..well, at least you ask now and not when it's too lare)
byxil
New here

Post by byxil »

for now the mysql db is the least of the problems, i can export it and reload it later.

I know I was wrong to use volumes in this way, but what I'm asking for now is advice on how I can get out of this situation.
I have nearly 6 TB of data on two 3 TB disks, and I would like some advice from someone more experienced than me, on what is the best way to replace the 2 disks with two of double capacity.
If it's instructions for dummy, even better
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

back your data up
replace the drives
create your shares
restore from your backups

if you have insufficient backup space ..buy sufficient space
use that backup space for regular backups after
byxil
New here

Post by byxil »

OK, but I still have some unclear points.

1) do I have to pass 6Tb on a disk attached via USB or sata (better sata?) and then pass that 6Tb content from the external disk to the internal disk that I replaced? Isn't there a quicker way? I thought that if I could momentarily remove the two 4tb disks (slots 3 and 4 ) and put a disk on which to copy the data of those in slots 1 and 2, and at the end put the new one in slot 1 and put the ones back in their place slots 3 and 4.

2) when I remove the disks from slots 1 and 2 and put a new one on which I will copy the backup data, don't I also remove the configuration files and maybe then it doesn't correctly recognize the ones on slots 3 and 4? the data of slots 1 and 2 are not important, those of slots 3 and 4 are.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) ..no the NAS is not a simple disk enclosure, the disks also have the OS on them..so forget about it. Why would USB not be quick? I made USB backups of my 419p+ for a decade..worked fine. On top I think nost esata usb bridge chips cannot work with large disk sizes

2) you make a backup of all you data..of ALL disks (shares) in your NAS, always be prepared for FULL data loss at all times!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”