Disk 2 in RAID1 "degraded" TS-251+

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Zombie
Getting the hang of things

Re: Disk 2 in RAID1 "degraded" TS-251+

Post by Zombie »

Got the new NAS now, but of course the "faulty" RAID disk just transfers the fault to the new NAS. Will do a total factory reset of the NAS and hopefully it formats the disk. I have the other working disk in the old NAS so all data good.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Now inserted the second (and now formatted disk2 of the RAID1) into the old NAS, but disk2 is "faulty" (it is not as I used it as startup disk in the new NAS) and the RAID1 is still degraded. How do I get rid of the bloody RAID1 config without losing all data?
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Removed the disk2 ID in .conf but still degraded RAID and I can't rebuild to the now formatted disk2. The "faulty" disk2 is is back in the .conf. So funny.
This would be the last time I use RAID. Better to have to independent drives and do a one-way synk to the other every evening.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Your decision. I never encountered any problem using a raid level 1, 5 or 6.
But may be it points to a defective backplane, then you can replace disk after disk after disk and the result will remain. :'
Only thing to do is backup the data (in "degraded" data should be accessible) and start from scratch.

Remove all partitions from the two raid1 disks, when inserted into NAS the first-installation-wizard should raise.

Regards
Last edited by FSC830 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

What about removing the volume? Will it destroy the data on disk1? Strange that there isn't any possibility to get rid of the RAID1. Will go and get another 2TB disk and insert it. Maybe I'm lucky.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Sure, removing a volume will destroy data. But it does not fix the degraded status.
The degraded status is the raidgroup or pool, not the logical storage objects located at this layer.

Regards

And no, QNAP offers no option to get back in raid levels.
There was a description here in forum how to remove a disk from raid1 and convert the raid to single disk, but this is an unsupported procedure, you can do at your own risk.
See this thread.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

So, I went and bought a new drive, but still can't rebuild the RAID1. The alternatives I am supposed to have are greyed out. I really regret to use RAID. Crap. And nobody knows what to do. Even better.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

Zombie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:44 pm I have followed the instructions on the QNAP site, but there's one thing I can't (or don't want to do).
The instructions tell me to replace Disk2 with a "new" disk. I don't want to buy a new disk
It could have been so easy ...
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Well, I did buy a new disk. It didn't work.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

Zombie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:00 pm Well, I did buy a new disk. It didn't work.
Yes - but after a lot of fiddling around, inserting several disks in several NAS and not as the first step.

Starting over from scratch is now the best option for sure.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

I will try a startup with the new NAS and see if the rebuild starts. If not, I will do a synk of important files from NAS1 to NAS2 during the night. Don't think I dare to make a restore of the system settings and slap RAID1 and the error on the new disk.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

I would start from scratch and restore the backup.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Since there's no manual to how the "Restore system settings" function works concerning transferring the RAID settings or not, I'd prefer to just copy the work and media files as they are. And then build up the system from scratch on the new NAS.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

I have no idea what you are planning to do. Copy the files on some new disks and then inserting them into the NAS?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Zombie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:31 pm Since there's no manual to how the "Restore system settings" function works concerning transferring the RAID settings or not, I'd prefer to just copy the work and media files as they are. And then build up the system from scratch on the new NAS.
Yes, restoring the system settings will also restore the raid information. So if you plan to restore the settings to a single disk installation, you will afterwards again stuck with a "degraded raid1".

But actually I agree with @ritters, the mess is most likely homebrew by doing something weird.
I have done so many rebuilds when a disk fails and never encountered such issues.
In 99% people who have this issues did something wrong.

Regards

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”