RAID 1 to RAID 5 with no empty bays

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
bbnas453
New here

RAID 1 to RAID 5 with no empty bays

Post by bbnas453 »

I tried searching for this answer and everything seems to refer to a set up with empty bays, but I have a QNAP TS-453Be with four bays, all of which are filled and it is set up as RAID 1 and I was curious if there is any way to go from RAID 1 to RAID 5 with no empty, unused bays? I've seen all the answers when adding a new HDD to an array, but what about if there aren't any available bays? Would I lose my data?

I should also add I do have one drive that has a warning that I will be replacing... would that be the time where this is doable?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: RAID 1 to RAID 5 with no empty bays

Post by dolbyman »

So RAID1 works maximum with two drives, so if you have 4 drives it cannot be a RAID1 (unless it's two RAID1)

And you should never lose your data, because you should have external backups at all times !
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

As @dolbyman said you cannot have a 4 drive RAID 1. With 4 drives you can have RAID 0, 10, 5, 6, 2 x RAID 1, or individual drives. Please check your configuration and get back to us along with the warning on one of the drives.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
bbnas453
New here

Post by bbnas453 »

Ugh, not sure what I was looking at that told me it was RAID 1, but yes, it is RAID 5.

As for the bad disk, I am getting "One or more disk S.M.A.R.T. normalized attributes are below than the manufacturer's threshold. Please consider replacing the disk."

When I look at SMART information it says:

When a SMART ID value from a supported disk reaches the threshold set by the disk manufacturer or one of the following raw values is above 0, the disk will be considered abnormal. (Not including SAS drives and SSD).
  • ID 197: Current Pending Sector
    ID 198: Uncorrectable Sector Count
I have a replacement disk on the way, but is there anything else I should be wary of?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

One thing is to make sure your backups are current (a RAID is never a backup) because if another disk fails now or during rebuild .. all data is toast
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

When the replacement disk arrives swap it hot. Make sure you have backups first.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

bbnas453 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 am Ugh, not sure what I was looking at that told me it was RAID 1, but yes, it is RAID 5.
QNAP make reference to "RAID groups" a fair-bit. The first RAID you create is called "RAID group 1". Subsequent arrays are given incrementing "RAID group" numbers. RAID groups are an important component of storage pools.

But (as you've seen) "RAID group 1" is actually built from RAID1, RAID10, RAID5, RAID6, JBOD or even single disks. :lol:

So, it’s important to note whether you’re looking at a “RAID group” or a RAID level when describing your config.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”