Creating a fast SSD RAID Group for actively used files and sync'ing it to a Volume on existing HDD array

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Time4aNap
Starting out

Creating a fast SSD RAID Group for actively used files and sync'ing it to a Volume on existing HDD array

Post by Time4aNap »

Hello!

The Situation:
  • People need to move large amounts of data (up to 1TB at a time) to and from the NAS from Windows 10 Client computers.
  • Clients have fast SSDs.
  • NAS (TS-435XeU) has 3 HDDs in a RAID 5.
  • Network (Managed Switch, NAS NIC and Clients NICs) is 10Gb.
The Problem
After upgrading the network to 10Gb, the bottleneck is now at the HDD drives on the NAS. Specifically, writes are really slow.
Reading around, I know that it's possible for me to get better performance with a different RAID config, or a faster NAS, but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve rebuilding the RAID or getting yet another new NAS.

The Solution?
  • Since they're moving files to and from a limited set of project folders, I am contemplating creating a new RAID Group / Volume on the NAS consisting of two M.2 SSDs in a RAID 1 (I have the M.2 slots available).
  • Active project folders can live on this new fast Volume. They will use the fast volume when working on a project. Delete it from there when they're done.
  • I expect write speeds to increase dramatically for them.
  • I will also set up a one-way sync of this folder via HBS3 to the existing volume on the slow HDD RAID Group, so that whatever they're writing quickly to the SSDs will be replicated in due time on the HDDs (and in turn get backed up on the regular schedule)
My Questions
I'll have to spend another $800 or so on big SSDs for this to work, so I want to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree.
  • Will this even work?
  • Is this just dumb? Can someone think of a more elegant solution.
  • Is it ok for a fast volume to be replicating to a slow volume? They are not constantly writing, so there should be sufficient time for the sync to catch up, I think.
*sigh*
Thanks!
Volunteer one-man "IT Department" for my wife's startup company.
Just learning as I go. Trust me, it's a thankless job. Why do I only get credit for the problems?! LOL
We have a TS-435XeU (production NAS), a TS-431K (onsite backup) and TS-431P3 (offsite-backup).
I am truly thankful for all the help I get here.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Creating a fast SSD RAID Group for actively used files and sync'ing it to a Volume on existing HDD array

Post by dolbyman »

While the NAS supports NVMe make sure that it also supports storage volumes on it (and not just cache) ...

Also the CPU speed is VERY limited, so dont expect full 10GbE on this
Time4aNap
Starting out

Re: Creating a fast SSD RAID Group for actively used files and sync'ing it to a Volume on existing HDD array

Post by Time4aNap »

Ooof, thanks for that. I would have totally overlooked it. Luckily, looks like the TS-435XeU does also support NVMe storage volumes. "Dual M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD slots enable cache acceleration or SSD storage pools for improved performance."

Yeah that CPU is weak (CN9131 ARMv8 Cortex-A72 4-core 2.2GHz processor). I might instead put the SSDs in my TVS-h474 that I'm now using as a backup NAS which has an Intel Pentium Gold G7400 2-core/4-thread 3.7 GHz Processor, 8 GB SODIMM DDR4. It also has 2 M.2 slots that can be used for storage. That should get me some amount of better performance, I suppose.
Just learning as I go. Trust me, it's a thankless job. Why do I only get credit for the problems?! LOL
We have a TS-435XeU (production NAS), a TS-431K (onsite backup) and TS-431P3 (offsite-backup).
Time4aNap
Starting out

Post by Time4aNap »

The other thing to consider is that not all M.2 slots are the same.

The
TS-435XeU M.2 slots are PCIe Gen3 x1 (1 GB/s)
whereas the
TVS-h474 M.2 slots are PCIe Gen3 x2 (twice as fast, I assume)

Not sure why they have DUAL 10GbE ports built into the TS-435XeU when it can barely handle ONE at the CPU/disk level... sigh.
I added a 10Gb NIC to the TS-h474, since it only has 2x 2.5Gb ports.
Time4aNap
Starting out

Post by Time4aNap »

This effort turned out nicely with the TVS-h474. We now have a really fast read/write NAS on a 10Gbe network. Sweet.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”