Moving Raid 5 disks from Legacy TS-419P+ to new QNAP NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
achabooboo
New here

Moving Raid 5 disks from Legacy TS-419P+ to new QNAP NAS

Post by achabooboo »

Hello,

Hope you guys can help/provide advise. My old TS-419P+ after a firmware update 2 days ago, it no longer boots up nor can't be found by QFinder. It has 4x2TB HDD configured on RAID 5. I initially plan to get a new QNAP Nas (probably they are on QTS 5) while by old one is on 4.3.3 (I can't verify now as I can't access it).

I just need to recovery my files there. It's unfortunate that my hdd backup also got bad sectors when I checked. So no way to restore nor backup/access my old QNAP nas.

I checked compatibility on new QNAP nas and I saw an article that I can move my disks. Has anyone tried to move raid 5 disks? How about firmware versions will I have a problem? Is there any other path to recover my files stored on these raid disks? Thanks in advance!
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Re: Moving Raid 5 disks from Legacy TS-419P+ to new QNAP NAS

Post by diwiwi »

Hi,

You can follow the direct system migration procedure (on a compatible NAS)
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... he-old-one

-
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if the firmware on disks is corrupted, moving the disks over to a different NAS might not help

what happens when you eject the disks (cold) boot the NAS into setup (web gui) and then insert the disks? (is a firmware repair offered on screen?)
achabooboo
New here

Post by achabooboo »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 pm if the firmware on disks is corrupted, moving the disks over to a different NAS might not help

what happens when you eject the disks (cold) boot the NAS into setup (web gui) and then insert the disks? (is a firmware repair offered on screen?)
diwiwi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:40 pm Hi,

You can follow the direct system migration procedure (on a compatible NAS)
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... he-old-one

-

Hi - I bought a new NAS and moved the disks according to order. Turned on the new NAS and I was able to access all data. RAID5 configuration is still ok, same goes with all the disks.

Now my prob is how I can do firmware recovery on my old NAS. I tried the firmware recovery guide (using VMWARE Player) but it's not working.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Does the setup come up when booted without disks?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”