Problems with an external USB DISK

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DrJ76
Know my way around

Problems with an external USB DISK

Post by DrJ76 »

Hello everyone. Until now, I have been usin a TS 212P with 2 2TB disk in raid 1, and an external disk of 700 GB connected by usb using a case.
Ok, the other day I decided to replace one of the raid hard disks, as they have been working for long now... So I bought a new one and replace one of them with the new one... Then, I decided to use the replaced 2TB disk in the case I have been using until now with the 700 gb disk... Ok, so everything seem to be ok and the 2 TB replaced disk was detected fine using the case.

But this morning I was trying to configure some backup tasks to replicate data from the NAs to the external disk, and I had some problems, so I restarted the NAS, and now the external disk is detected by the NAs but it says that it is unmonted, and it is not usable like this....

I have tried disconnecting the external disk from NAS and connecting it on a pc and the disk works fine, and I have also tried the case of the external disk with the original 700 GB disk and it works fine in the NAs, so I am not able to detect where is the problem, the case seems to be fine because it works fine with the 700 GB in the NAs, and the replaced 2Tb disks seems also to be ok because it works fine in a pc... any ideas of what can be happening?..... Any ideaqs of solving the problem?.

Best regards and thank you very much in advance
DrJ76
Know my way around

Re: Problems with an external USB DISK

Post by DrJ76 »

well, at the end, I had to reformat the disk, no way to fix it other way... Letś see now if it fails again... so strange...

Best regards.
DrJ76
Know my way around

Post by DrJ76 »

Hello again.... Here I come again, because after formatting the disk and write some data on it, I had to unplug it for some reason, and when I plug it again to the NAS, the same thing happens, it recognises it but it says that it is "dismounted" and can´t be used.... the strangest thing is that if I plug it to the PC all data is there and I can use it normally. I have even tried to insert the disk in another case and plug it to the NAs and the same situation, disk unusable because it says that it is dismounted.

Any help?... It is such a same I can´t use the 2Tb disk as an external one in the NAs to do some backups of the important data... snifff....

What could be the reason of the problem?... I can´t understand it, it is not a problem of Hard disk compatibility, because it has been working great when it was mounted inside the raid, and it is not a case problem, beause the case with a 750 GB disk has been working fine for years, and also if I tried the 2 TB HD with another case, the same thing happens... It is so weird, grrr.... it must be a poltergeist or something....

Best regards and thank you very much for your help.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

did you "eject" the Drive before removing the cable? just curious..

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
DrJ76
Know my way around

Post by DrJ76 »

Toxic17 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:42 pm did you "eject" the Drive before removing the cable? just curious..

Capture.PNG
Well, I don´t do that usually with the other disk and naver had any problem, but with this one I have also tried like this, with the same result.

Anyway, I think I have found the reason and the solution.... It seems that the reason is that I formated the external disk from the NAS in NTFS.... IF I did so, it starts working, but when I disconnected the external disk, and connected it again to the NAS, the NAS stops detecting ot well.... If I formated the external disk from NAS with EXT4, it worked fine, and If I formated the external disk from the Pc in NTFS, it also works fine... so it seems that the NAs does not format the disks fine in NTFS... how strange, thsy should remove this option in the FS available in the format button.

Best regards.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”