Just need a simple JBOD setup. No Option for it

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jimerb
Know my way around

Just need a simple JBOD setup. No Option for it

Post by jimerb »

I have an 8 bay TS-873A with QTS hero on it.

I have 4 of the bays free right now and I'd like to use them to mount what I'm calling "Cold storage volumes" that can be online or offline depending on the need. These drives need to be available both in the NAS and in windows directly. The data on the drives already exists.

The problem is that I cannot find a way to add the JBOD. I want the 4 bays to operate like 4 distinct drives with the existing data already available. The Format of the drives is NTFS.

When I go to create a storage pool for these drives there is no JBOD option. only raid 0 and above. I do not want them to act as one big volume. I basically just want them to behave like a usb enslosure.

What am i doing wrong?

I get these errors, And there's no way to say JBOD:
jbod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jimerb on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
CONFIGURATION
UNIT: TVS-873 (x3) - Running 4.4.2
UNIT: TS-873 (QuTS Hero) 5.0
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Just need a simple JBOD setup. No Option for it

Post by dolbyman »

There is no GUI option for this, all internal drives get formatted to suit the NAS operation (for QuTS it's two md RAID for the system and then a ZFS zPool)

There was a complicated GUI Guide (for QTS) to get external disks sorta working, but you will have to dig through the command line each time you insert a drive
https://medium.com/zagursky/how-to-use- ... b77a9bd816
jimerb
Know my way around

Post by jimerb »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:20 am There is no GUI option for this, all internal drives get formatted to suit the NAS operation (for QuTS it's two md RAID for the system and then a ZFS zPool)

There was a complicated GUI Guide (for QTS) to get external disks sorta working, but you will have to dig through the command line each time you insert a drive
https://medium.com/zagursky/how-to-use- ... b77a9bd816
ugg. that stinks. This is such a basic thing. I can't believe it doesn't work natively.

there also doesn't seem to be a good way to eject this drive. Since it's not in a storage pool there's no remove button anywhere. Am i missing it?

thx.
CONFIGURATION
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well it's a NAS not a DAS, so it's not really a 'basic' thing (get a TR00x enclosure if you want to pop drives in and out in JBOD fashion)

Or use a USB dock, external drive handling is no problem

As long as the drive has not been added to the system you can just eject it (physically)
jimerb
Know my way around

Post by jimerb »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 am Well it's a NAS not a DAS, so it's not really a 'basic' thing (get a TR00x enclosure if you want to pop drives in and out in JBOD fashion)

Or use a USB dock, external drive handling is no problem

As long as the drive has not been added to the system you can just eject it (physically)
Thanks. It's going to take me years to fill up the remaining bays and the application I have has a need to swap drives in/out. So I wanted to take advantage of the empty bays. It's one of the reasons I bought the 8 bay unit. It would have let me grow the storage pool when I needed to but also keep more cold storage available as needed.

I have a Sabrent 10 bay enclosure that's hooked to a PC right now. I'll see if i can plug it into one of the usb 3.2 ports on the NAS. Hopefully it will reliably detect all the bays. If it does, i"ll integrate it into the rack.
CONFIGURATION
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Let me know if the sabrent 10 bay works, could be a nice quick swap backup target
jimerb
Know my way around

Post by jimerb »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 am Let me know if the sabrent 10 bay works, could be a nice quick swap backup target
I will. Do you know if the TR-004 will support NTFS volumes?
CONFIGURATION
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The TR units are just block storage (either single/JBOD or hardware RAID (so they don't care bout what filesystem sits on top)

So whatever filesystem you choose will work with a TR

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”