Access old Storage Pool on new NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mrlou
New here

Access old Storage Pool on new NAS

Post by mrlou »

Hi everyone,

I have some issues with unlocking an encrypted volume on my 4-bay TS-453A while it refuses to update from QTS 5.0.1.2248 to 5.0.1.2277. I have a single Storage Pool with RAID5 containing two volumes one for the system and non-crucial data and one that is encrypted. The decryption won't work with the password I always used and it only tells me that the password is wrong.

My plan now is to make the Storage Pool that contains this volume available in a new QNAP and try to decrypt it under the latest QTS.

Would I need some sort of storage attachment like the TR-004 or would I be able to access the Storage Pool through LAN?
Any other things I could try in my case? :?

Thanks a lot in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Access old Storage Pool on new NAS

Post by dolbyman »

Sounds like a software or encryption error to me and a new NAS will probably do nothing (the TS-453A still gets all the latest updates, so is nothing 'newer' to get in terms of QTS)

Open a ticket with QNAP, if you ever get your data back .. start doing backups!
mrlou
New here

Post by mrlou »

Hi dolbyman,

thanks for getting back to me.
Raising a ticket with QNAP is a good proposal and it's good to hear that the TS-453A is rather up-to-date.
Interesting that you assume, I wouldn't do backups. I didn't talk about my backups yet. In fact, it's very much the same as for the Storage Volume. They are encrypted but I can't access them with error "Wrong Password". It's a mess... :x
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well you always need to test your backups..part of that test would be to test them in a different system (thats what backups are for) and see if you can decrypt them
mrlou
New here

Post by mrlou »

Yes. Done that.
All was fine and I was able to open the encrypted USB drives under macOS. Otherwise, I would have setup the back in an encrypted manner. Still, now all three storages (2 USB Backups, 1 Volume) are not accessible any more. I also tried the passwords multiple times and cross-checked in case I was using the wrong password. Nothing ...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If your backups AND internal storage became inaccessible at the same time..something weird is happening

Definitely wait for an answer to that ticket

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”